TransformWebConfigEnabled with deployment project RRS feed

• Question

• User-268280737 posted

I have a web application project that let's me supply 2 configuration settings within a VBPROJ file.

<AutoParameterizationWebConfigConnectionStrings>False</AutoParameterizationWebConfigConnectionStrings>
    <TransformWebConfigEnabled>False</TransformWebConfigEnabled>

I want to do the same thing for our website project. I tried adding it to the web deployment vbproj but the settings don't do anything. I can pass in the "AutoParameterizationWebConfigConnectionStrings" at the msbuild command line level like this:

msbuild /v:diag /m /T:Package /P:AutoParameterizationWebConfigConnectionStrings=false;Configuration=Release;PackageLocation="d:\etc\etc.zip";

The problem is I also want to pass in TransformWebConfigEnabled=false so it doesn't do the web.config substitution stuff. If i pass that in the command line it doesn't work.

I'd prefer to figure out how to make these config settings work within the deployment project's vbproj file. Here is a snippet of my file:

<PropertyGroup Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Release|AnyCPU'">
    <UseMerge>false</UseMerge>
    <DebugSymbols>false</DebugSymbols>
    <EnableUpdateable>true</EnableUpdateable>
    <UseFixedNames>true</UseFixedNames>
    <UseWebConfigReplacement>false</UseWebConfigReplacement>
    <DeleteAppDataFolder>true</DeleteAppDataFolder>
    <OutputPath>.\Release</OutputPath>
    <AutoParameterizationWebConfigConnectionStrings>False</AutoParameterizationWebConfigConnectionStrings>
    <TransformWebConfigEnabled>False</TransformWebConfigEnabled>
    </PropertyGroup>

How can I do that? Thanks!

Paul

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:29 PM

Answers

• User-1370807927 posted

Ah, I take a quick look.  There is no easy way to do that in WAP But for WDP there is.

However, for the website and WDP.  There is, you can set. 

<FixupWPPPipeLineItemsForConfigTransform>False</FixupWPPPipeLineItemsForConfigTransform>

Try it and let me know if that weks for you.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 5:30 PM

All replies

• User-1370807927 posted

The two setting that you did is for the WPP pipeline. (WDP2010 now also enable it through te command line.  But you need to manually drop web.debug.config)

The one you try to disable web.config substitution is provided as a backcompat for Existing WDP project. (Someone in your team enable it.). Which use ConfigAPI to replace section of the web.config.  I am guessing this is an old existing WDP project?

To disable it.

<UseWebConfigReplacement>False</UseWebConfigReplacement>

(I thought the snip you provide, it already disable it?) 

HTH.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:57 PM
  • User-268280737 posted

Basically what i'm trying to accomplish is this:

1. During an automated build of our "website project" using a "web deployment project" for vs2010 build a packaged zip file of our site.

2. Do not replace any of the configuration in the web.config

a. This includes doing the old basic substitution of config sections.

b. Or do the new web.debug.config substitution

3. I have within my project a web.config, a web.debug.config, a web.release.config. I want all 3 of those configs to exist inside the zipped package file.

I have set <UseWebConfigReplacement>False</UseWebConfigReplacement>, <AutoParameterizationWebConfigConnectionStrings>False</AutoParameterizationWebConfigConnectionStrings>, and <TransformWebConfigEnabled>False</TransformWebConfigEnabled> . But yet it still replaces the configuration and removes the web.debug.config, web.release.config from the zip file.

Thanks for the help!

Paul

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:31 AM
  • User-1370807927 posted

Ah, I take a quick look.  There is no easy way to do that in WAP But for WDP there is.

However, for the website and WDP.  There is, you can set. 

<FixupWPPPipeLineItemsForConfigTransform>False</FixupWPPPipeLineItemsForConfigTransform>

Try it and let me know if that weks for you.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 5:30 PM
  • User-268280737 posted

Yes, i believe that worked. Is there any reference documentation on that?

Thanks!

Paul

Thursday, May 27, 2010 11:03 AM
  • User-1370807927 posted

We just release WDP2010 RTW on  May/25. 

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webdevtools/archive/2010/05/26/visual-studio-2010-web-deployment-projects-rtw-available-now.aspx 

The documentation is lacking. 

You are probably one of the first in the trying out the Packaging/webconfig transformation that it enable website project to leverage.

It includes a lot of workaround for WDP to leverage the VS2010 package/webpublishpipeline. 

This is one of the targets to enable web.debug.config to have the item metadata that WPP need to perform tranformation.

We will try to detail those through the blog post as need to.

We are also planning on getting the general Packaging/Publish setting into WDP in feature release.

Thx -Ming

Thursday, May 27, 2010 2:33 PM