Visual Studio .Net 2008 Crystal Reports deployment RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

Do you know if there is a way to deploy the projects including crystal reports to other computers?

I wrote an application in vs2005 and used the merge module "CrystalReportsRedist2005_x86.msm" to deploy it on another computer and it worked successfully.

But when I converted and opened my project in vs2008 and tried to deploy with the same merge modules of 2005, it failed.

Are there any merge modules for vs2008, and if so where can i find them?

Thank you very much

Saturday, December 22, 2007 10:59 PM

All replies

•  

Create one project (Class Library Type) from type .Net Framework 2.0 and create new rpt files at that.
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 8:05 PM
  • It appears Business Objects does not have a merge module for Crystal Reports 2008 Basic which is the version installed with Visual Studio 2008.  You need to install from the MSI that was installed with visual studio that is on your system.

Here is the website with the location of the file:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms225231.aspx

You may be able to run the msi after you run your install automatically from a setup and deployment application.

Hope this helps

Robert McArthur

• Proposed as answer by Ananda Rao Thursday, September 23, 2010 4:36 AM
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 10:22 PM
  • I will try to do that *** soon as possible and let you know the results

thank you

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 10:32 PM
  •  

Bharky,

I was in the same boat.... It works.... I am currently modifing my setup and deployment app to try and run the crystal reports msi after the install of my app.  There seems to be quite a bit of help on the net to show you how to launch an executable after running your install.

Good Luck,

Robert

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 10:41 PM
  • Same issue here. Robert, did you ever figure out how to install the CR Redist in your deployment? I'm using installshield 2008 express and it doesn't look as though I can launch an msi from within an msi. I was wondering if anyone has figured out another way to deploy the .net crystal reports requirements.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:14 PM
  • cwest,

I have the professional edition of Visual Studio 2008 and have never played with 2008 express edition.  After poking around in VS 2008 Setup and Deployment project I found a the following:

1) Right Click on setup project in the solution explorer

2) Click Properties

3) There is a button called "Prerequisites" click it

4) in the list you will find "Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008(x86, x64)

5) Check it off

After doing that your project will now include the CRRedist Files.

When you run the install it will install them and everything works fine.

As I said. I have only done this for Visual Studio 2008. I don't know if this feature exists in Express.

On a side note. I spoke with Business Objects at the beginning of January and they told me they are going to post a .msm (merge module)for VS 2008 on their download site as soon as Visual Studio 2008 is officially launched.   (I just looked and it's still not posted. They only have VS 2005, 2003, 2002)

http://support.businessobjects.com/downloads/runtime.asp

Do not confuse Crystal Reports 2008 runtime files with Visual Studio Runtime files, as this is the full blown Crystal Reports.  The version shipped with Visual Studio 2008 is "Crystal Reports 2008 Basic" (version 10.5)

Hope this helps.

Robert 

Friday, February 15, 2008 11:40 AM
  • Robert,

Thank you for your insightful and timely response! While you've provided great information, I'm afraid we miscommunicated on one of the primary points that I'm struggling with. I'm using InstallShield 2008 express to create my msi installer, not VS 2008.  

Charles

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:55 PM
  • Sorry about that. I just saw express and didn't catch the installshield... Must learn to read. LOL. Either way I guess that you may have to wait until Business Objects releases a .msm

Robert
    Friday, February 15, 2008 7:38 PM
  • Hey,

I am new to Visual Studio and developed a project in vb.net, using VS2008, SQL server 2005 and crystal reports. Now, I want to deploy my project to  clients machine. I added the CRRedist2008_x86.msi as a File in the deployment project. I am not sure, whether this would run the crystal report msi before installing my deployment project.

Also, I dont want to share my SQL server logon credentials to clients. Can someone please tell me how to send these credentials to the Crystal Report programmatically?

Help Needed Urgently!!

Thanks in anticipation!!

Friday, May 1, 2009 4:43 PM
  • Hi Robert,

This is hari. Thanks for your valuable notes...
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:58 AM
  • Hi:

I use VS2008 and crystal report on Access Database.

In the deploy, I included the Crystal runtime but the crystal report files were not found.

How do I set as they the cr files path as they are already inside the VS2008 project.

Tommy Leung 

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:29 AM
  • 1) Right Click on setup project in the solution explorer

2) Click Properties

3) There is a button called "Prerequisites" click it

4) in the list you will find "Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008(x86, x64)

5) Check it off

After doing that your project will now include the CRRedist Files.

When you run the install it will install them and everything works fine.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 6:46 PM
  • Hi, when I go to the solution explorer and do as you say, there is no button "Prerequisites".

I have VS2008 and CR10.

Friday, May 21, 2010 12:36 PM
  • We tried this and it doesnt seem to actually include it with the installer... any other tricks, or is something broken here? Have yall tested if this phycially includes the MSI with the install?

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Hi, when I go to the solution explorer and do as you say, there is no button "Prerequisites".

I have VS2008 and CR10.

in the properties go to publish and then you will see the "prerequisities" button
    Saturday, October 2, 2010 3:05 PM
  • Hi dchurch24,

I think you missed what I said in step 1 "Right Click SETUP PROJECT in the solution explorer (meaning you need to create a setup and deploy project to distribute your application)

then click properties.  After that you will see the prerequisites button.

or as niel647 has suggested below on a publish and deploy ClickOnce install there is also the "prerequisities" button.

You also need to make sure the MSI runtime for VS 2008 is installed on your development machine in order for the prequisite to show up in the check box list.
    (see my post above for the link.... if it is still live) SAP has changed the location of the original crystal reports msi for this version.  It is on there downloads page it just has moved.

Best of luck.

Robert McArthur
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:44 AM
  • Thanks a lot sir! you just solve my problem about crystal reports deployment! goodluck and godbless you good sir :))))
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 2:55 PM
  • Hello

I'm a beginner, and I wonder if you can help me, saying that setting have to do to add to my CRRuntime_12_3_pt.msm project that is not the Setup. I want to test it before adding one to the setup.

I thank you

Monday, February 14, 2011 2:37 PM