none
Visual Studio Professional 2015 crashes when opening project (editorpackage LegacySitePackage failed for package [Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.EditorPackage] Source: mscorlib, Description: Unrecognized Guid format)

Question

• I had Visual Studio 2015 Community installed and working for some time, and just upgraded to Professional with Update 3 (first uninstalled Community) and am now getting this error every time I open my project:

ERROR LegacySitePackage failed for package [Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.EditorPackage]Source: 'mscorlib' Description: Unrecognized Guid format. System.FormatException: Unrecognized Guid format. at System.Guid.TryParseGuid(String g, GuidStyles flags, GuidResult& result) at System.Guid..ctor(String g) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.LanguageServiceToContentTypeMapper.MakeLanguageServiceContentTypes(SettingsStore settingsStore) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.LanguageServiceToContentTypeMapper.InitLanguageServiceToContentTypeMapper(IServiceProvider serviceProvider) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.EditorPackage.Initialize() at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Package.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsPackage.SetSite(IServiceProvider sp) {E269B994-EF71-4CE0-8BCD-581C217372E8} 80131537 VisualStudio 2016/09/26 23:16:23.827
    445 ERROR

SetSite failed for package [Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.EditorPackage](null

I've done a lot of searching online for similar issues and have tried a few things with no success so far, including: deleting the ComponentModelCache folder in local appdata, deleting the entire 14.0 folder in local and roaming appdata, repairing the installation, uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting, running "devenv /setup", "devenv /updateconfig", "devenv /Resetsettings", and "devenv/Safemode", and trying Visual Studio Professional without updates.

I am on the latest version of Windows 10, with Visual Studio Professional with Update 3 version 14.0.25420.1

Full contents of activityLog.xml here: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/97ba21dc5651899e10d94bed4dccef9b

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

• Edited by hdkfan Monday, September 26, 2016 11:42 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2016 11:27 PM

Answers

• Making a new user account fixes the issue, I can open the project with VS 2015 Professional.  Looks like this person had the same issue with the same fix: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/fc763995-beed-4287-97de-6e47d3e87865/multiple-package-failures-on-load-of-ide?forum=vssetup

Is there any way to un-corrupt the user account?

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 6:27 PM

All replies

• Install Microsoft Office Developer Tools Update 2+ for Visual Studio 2015

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 2:24 AM
  • Hi hdkfan,

Thank you for your post.

>>and am now getting this error every time I open my project.

Before further troubleshooting, how about creating a new project the same type as yours.

To see if the error still shows, because we need to figure out the cause is pending on the project or the VS.

Next, let's see the following error message in the activityLog :

>>Extension will not be loaded because an extension with the same ID 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.TeamExplorer.Extensions' is already loaded at C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO 14.0\COMMON7\IDE\EXTENSIONS\RZL21ZSI.5PB\...

Apparently, the cause is the TeamExplorer extension package is already existed.

Try the following steps:

1. Please navigate to path: C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO 14.0\COMMON7\IDE\COMMONEXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\TEAMFOUNDATION\TEAM EXPLORER\

2. Back up this file well in another place first, then delete it in the previous URL.

3. You mentioned that you have tried deleted some packages, repair and re-install but still no help, please go to Microsoft official website to download an V 2015 Professional with Update 3 ISO to repair it again.

If the last ISO repair doesn't work, please use  http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.zip from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to  https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 7:29 AM
  • Hi,

At this point I am willing to try anything, so I gave this a shot.  Issue is still occurring.  Was there some package I may be missing that is included with that tool or something?

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 7:50 PM
  • Hi Lana,

Thanks for the info.  The project I'm using was not originally created by me, I believe it was created with Visual Studio 2010, but I have been working with it using Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition without issue before attempting the upgrade to Professional Edition.

I've tried creating a new project (File->New project) from within Professional Edition and am getting a different error.  An alert pops up that says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", and no new project is created.

I've tried removing the Team Explorer directory you listed, but when opening Visual Studio it shows a new error: "SccProviderPackage did not load correctly".  I can click through that error and try to open my project, but the original issue still occurs, Visual Studio crashes.

I've tried repairing the installation using the download from the MSDN several times, but it hasn't resolved the issue.  Just tried again, here are the collected logs: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnzqWlIvD7YSazJcycZKUrvjHzE

Thanks again for the assistance.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:27 PM
  • Hi hdkfan,

The only error message is below:

Based on my experience, this issue can have several causes: corrupted user profile, third-party add-ins, corrupted Visual Studio packages... You can perfrom the methods below to troubleshoot this issue:

• Please check if the file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Microsoft.VisualStudio.ComponentModelHost.Implementation.dll" exists/correct in your system. This dll is for the [Visual Studio Component Model Host Package];
    • Run devenv /Resetsettings to eliminate the cause of corrupted settings;
    • Run devenv /Safemode to eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems;
    • Reboot the machine in Safe Mode. This can isolate some third party application/driver's interference;
    • Switch and try a new user account. This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile

If the above methods still could not resolve this issue, would you please try to uninstall-reinstall Visual Studio again?

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 6:00 AM
  • Hi Lana,

The error messages seem to vary occasionally, here's another activityLog file: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/397da39d72c204110549d4a36d76b0b4

Microsoft.VisualStudio.ComponentModelHost.Implementation.dll exists, not sure how to tell if it's correct.

I've ran these commands before and uninstalled then reinstalled Visual Studio several times already, they did not fix the issue.

I will try making a new user account now.

Also I've uninstalled all the extensions listed in the Extensions menu.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:11 PM
  • Making a new user account fixes the issue, I can open the project with VS 2015 Professional.  Looks like this person had the same issue with the same fix: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/fc763995-beed-4287-97de-6e47d3e87865/multiple-package-failures-on-load-of-ide?forum=vssetup

Is there any way to un-corrupt the user account?

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 6:27 PM
  • Hi hdkfan,

Glad to hear you have fixed this issue resolved. And it's really kind of your for sharing your solution and result here.

You could mark your reply as the answer, it will benefit to other community members who have the same issue. It will be easier for them to search the solution.

>>Is there any way to un-corrupt the user account?

For this question, it is related to the server manage about the account profile, currently we could un-corrupt it on local side. If change another account could fix this, you could directly use a new user account, and it won't affect your VS using.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Thursday, September 29, 2016 12:45 AM