none
WinUSB Application template broken in VS 2015/2017?

Question

• I was going to follow this tutorial here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn376872(v=vs.85).aspx

I installed the Windows 10 WDK and decided to try it. When I create a new WinUSB Application template, the Solution Explorer only has one solution which contains the .cpp and .h files, but the second solution with the .inf file is not there. Same thing happens for VS 2017RC. I'm puzzled as to why this is happening.

• Edited by grover23 Wednesday, January 04, 2017 2:12 PM
    Wednesday, January 04, 2017 2:11 PM

Answers

• Hi grover23,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I tried to install the windows 10 WDK for my community 2015 with update 3, then create a new WinUSB Application, then it creates one solution with USB Application1 project, not includes another project USB Application1 Package like the description of the tutorial that you provided. But I found it looks like this ‘missing’ project should manually add, please right click the solution name and choose Add, then popups the Add New Project and you will find this template ‘WinUSB INF Driver Package’ under Visual C++>Windows Driver>Package like the following and choose it to add, then you will find the .inf file as below.

Since the tutorial is description of the VS 2012, not the VS 2015 and there should have some changes when the VS version upgrade, sorry for this inconvenience.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by grover23 Thursday, January 05, 2017 7:26 AM
    Thursday, January 05, 2017 7:14 AM

All replies

• Hi grover23,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I tried to install the windows 10 WDK for my community 2015 with update 3, then create a new WinUSB Application, then it creates one solution with USB Application1 project, not includes another project USB Application1 Package like the description of the tutorial that you provided. But I found it looks like this ‘missing’ project should manually add, please right click the solution name and choose Add, then popups the Add New Project and you will find this template ‘WinUSB INF Driver Package’ under Visual C++>Windows Driver>Package like the following and choose it to add, then you will find the .inf file as below.

Since the tutorial is description of the VS 2012, not the VS 2015 and there should have some changes when the VS version upgrade, sorry for this inconvenience.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by grover23 Thursday, January 05, 2017 7:26 AM
    Thursday, January 05, 2017 7:14 AM
  • Thanks! This worked perfectly.
    Thursday, January 05, 2017 7:26 AM
  • Hi Sara

1.I did all of your suggestions but after compile I see this Error:

Error    TRK0002    Failed to execute command: ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\x86\inf2cat.exe" /os:10_x86 "/driver:C:\USB Application1\Debug\Driver Package1\\"". The operation identifier is not valid.    Driver Package1    C:\USB Application1\Driver Package1\TRACKER   

2.Do I have another way to work with USB without add an INF file to my project.In other words can I address an INF file that was created with my hardware in INF folder of Windows OS.

Best regards,

Mehran

Tuesday, May 09, 2017 1:37 AM
  • Hi Mehran,

Sorry for my delay reply.

Refer to your description, your issue is more relates to the WinUSB application development. Since our forum is to discuss the VS IDE, please redirect to this appropriate forum: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/home?forum=wdk and start a new thread for your issue. You will get a more professional support for your issue, thank you for your understanding.

BTW, we usually discuss one issue in one thread and it can help us to research and trace your issue :)

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Friday, May 19, 2017 2:31 AM