TFS Upgrade Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

Scenario: We have  upgraded from TFS 2008 to 2012 on a test environment and everything went smooth with no issues at all. For various reasons management wants to re-run the TFS test upgrade again couple of days ahead before we do an actual Production Upgrade  to keep both the environments in sync.

In our current TFS 2008 Prod Environment we are using only Builds and Reporting services .We don't have SharePoint Integrated to TFS.

Question : What are the steps I should follow to  re-run the Upgrade from 2008 to 2012 on a Test environment(Single server with TFS and Data tier on same VM) . Is there a way I can avoid the uninstalling of TFS and do a complete re-building of the VM from the scratch which is hosting my test environment. Please let me know, thanks

Regards,

Rahman.

Monday, October 6, 2014 3:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Rahman, 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, you should uninstall the TFS 2012 Server first(either uninstall it manually from control panel or execute command), then drop all the TFS databases and reporting databases.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Rahman Syed Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:03 PM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 2:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Rahman, 

Thanks for your post.

No, we cannot install the second TFS Server on the same machine(VM) if there’s one TFS Server already installed on it. So you need uninstall that test TFS Server first.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 5:20 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. Is there any order that I need to proceed for uninstalling the TFS server. Or I can uninstall the TFS 2012 and drop the SQL and Reporting DB's (as both TFS and DB are on the same VM).

Will it be sufficient if I follow the steps listed in the below blog

http://blog.accentient.com/unconfiguring-team-foundation-server-2010/

Also let me know if I need to perform any additional steps or precautions if I'm upgrading the the TFS from 2008 to 2012 again on the same VM .Thanks

Regards,

Rahman.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 12:49 AM
  • Hi Rahman, 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, you should uninstall the TFS 2012 Server first(either uninstall it manually from control panel or execute command), then drop all the TFS databases and reporting databases.

• Marked as answer by Rahman Syed Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:03 PM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 2:19 AM