Switch userID to email Address RRS feed

• Question

• I have been asked if it is possible to authenticate SharePoint 2010 Foundation using our full email address. Our SharePoint server is current bound to Active Directory and uses the SamAccountName attribute. We want to switch to the email address. Is this possible? How would we make the switch?
    Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:30 PM

Answers

• If another system is leveraging and expecting the specific UPN presently in use, then that system will no longer function properly.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:52 PM

All replies

• You would have to switch to Forms-based Authentication. One suggestion would be to match the UPN of each user to their email address. This way users could use the UPN, which would be the same as email, to log in with Windows auth.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:39 PM
  • Thank you.

If I match the UPN of each user to their email address, how will that impact other systems that authenticate to Active Directory?

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:47 PM
  • If another system is leveraging and expecting the specific UPN presently in use, then that system will no longer function properly.

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:52 PM
  • Notice, if you have application accounts, like the crawler account, application pool account, the unattended account used by performance point, they would require a mailbox, so they can too access SharePoint.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2014 11:35 PM