Is it possible to add different launch options to a tile?

Question

• Hey, I've just starting using Windows 8 now, at first I had some doubts but now I'm really liking it.

As a hardcore PC gamer I've decided to just use the new start menu as a cool launcher for all my games, and have decided to make an APP that allows me to add customizable secondary tile shortcuts for them.

I'm just wondering, is it possible to have two or more different launch parameters on the same (secondary) tile?

Like if you were to just click the tile it opens the games singleplayer, but if you were to right-click the app to pop up the start menu app bar, there would be an option alongside the Unpin the taskbar, Large/Smaller options that allow you to launch the multiplayer for the game instead.

Would this be possible anyway at all? Even if it requires a lot of effort on some part.

If it isn't possible, is there any other way I could go about letting a user having different launch options on the same tile on the start menu without actually having to go in the app to select between the two. Maybe being able to click different sections of the tile?

If you definitely can't launch two different things from the same tile, does anyone have any idea's on making this as quick as possible for the user? (Inside the app or out)

One way could be to use multiple tiles, have one wider secondary tile for the actual game, and smaller tiles below it as the less important things that need to be launched like mods

Another way I'm thinking is when you click on the secondary tile of a game, it will launch the game if there are no seconday launchers for it instantly, but if there are secondary launchers it will come up with a UI that if you click anywhere in it launches the game, but if you open up the appbar it has all the secondary launchers. (I know you can easily edit the app bar once inside the app).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm new to the metro UI and I'm not sure how somethings work. If I didn't explain any of the things I asked for very well just tell me and I'll try and give a go at explaining it better.

Thanks

Sunday, December 30, 2012 7:20 PM

Answers

• No, this is not possible. You would need to provide separate secondary tiles for the different behaviors. You could allow the user to create secondary tiles for any page or set of settings within the game. This way each user can have customized shortcuts to the modes that specific user likes.

See Secondary tiles overview for more details on how secondary tiles work.

--Rob

Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:00 AM
    Owner