From WebMatrix to Visual Studio 2013 Community RRS feed

• Question

• User-735851359 posted

Hello,

I am happy with WebMatrix, Webpages and SQL Compact Edition. I started learning using Mike's book "Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix".  Thanks a lot. But now after some discussions about Webmatrix, I wanted to try Visual Studio 2013 Community. 

I want to make such web sites which I did in Webmatrix. But When I create a new web site using Razor, the Starter Site is created. How can I create an empty web site and then add the database how I worked in Webmatrix.

And also about SQL Compact Edition. for me it is very comfortable, all files including database in one folder. I can carry it where I want in a folder. I have never worked with SQL Server. How can I start working with that?

Will Mike's book be new editions in Visual Studio and with SQL Server?

Thanx for your help!

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 1:14 AM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

When I create a new web site using Razor, the Starter Site is created.

I do this and just delete all the files I don't want. There is no Empty Site template for Visual Studio. The alternative option is to create an Empty Site in WebMatrix and then open it in Visual Studio.

And also about SQL Compact Edition. for me it is very comfortable

You can continue to work with Sql Compact, although it is being deprecated by MS. I believe they will be providing better support for SqLite going forward, which is also a portable file-based system. In the meantime, you can either continue to use WebMatrix to administer your Sql Compact database or install SQL Server CE toolbox, which is a VS extension. It also enables management of SqLite databases.

I doubt there will be a new edition - at least, not through the current publisher.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 2:24 AM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

When I create a new web site using Razor, the Starter Site is created.

I do this and just delete all the files I don't want. There is no Empty Site template for Visual Studio. The alternative option is to create an Empty Site in WebMatrix and then open it in Visual Studio.

And also about SQL Compact Edition. for me it is very comfortable

You can continue to work with Sql Compact, although it is being deprecated by MS. I believe they will be providing better support for SqLite going forward, which is also a portable file-based system. In the meantime, you can either continue to use WebMatrix to administer your Sql Compact database or install SQL Server CE toolbox, which is a VS extension. It also enables management of SqLite databases.

I doubt there will be a new edition - at least, not through the current publisher.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 2:24 AM
  • User-735851359 posted

Thanx for your reply.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 7:48 AM