none
Can't make "Attach" prompt go away. RRS feed

• Question

• I am using VB in VS 2017. I have 3 programs that are in various stages of completion. For some reason (unknown to me) I can no longer debug/compile the programs. The F5 key does not work, the debug selection in the pulldown menu is no longer active and the "Start" button on the menu bar now shows "Attach". I don't know what it wants to attach to or what it is trying to attach to. No matter what I try it will not attach to anything nor will it run the debugger or compiler. Have I accidentally changed a setting somewhere without knowing it? Any help would be appreciated.

JR

Sunday, April 22, 2018 4:40 AM

Answers

• Do you see any project loaded in solution explorer, if not then

Have you opened pre existing code file

1.If you have opened code file like file with extension like .vb directly from Windows Explorer then you will not be able to run it because a Solution Contains Projects, Project contains code files & only Active Project can be run.

2.To get it run locate the file with extension like .sln or .vbproj within the same folder (or in folder that is just up level one) & simply open it.

3.Then you must see at least one project in solution explorer. You will be able to run the project.

• Marked as answer by J_Reid Sunday, April 22, 2018 5:53 AM
    Sunday, April 22, 2018 5:11 AM

All replies

• Do you see any project loaded in solution explorer, if not then

Have you opened pre existing code file

1.If you have opened code file like file with extension like .vb directly from Windows Explorer then you will not be able to run it because a Solution Contains Projects, Project contains code files & only Active Project can be run.

2.To get it run locate the file with extension like .sln or .vbproj within the same folder (or in folder that is just up level one) & simply open it.

3.Then you must see at least one project in solution explorer. You will be able to run the project.

• Marked as answer by J_Reid Sunday, April 22, 2018 5:53 AM
    Sunday, April 22, 2018 5:11 AM
  • I am using VB in VS 2017. I have 3 programs that are in various stages of completion.

Do you mean you have 3 projects in the same .NET solution? If so, then what are the projects?

Sunday, April 22, 2018 5:43 AM
  • Thanks - I actually knew that but somehow I must have clicked on the .vb files rather than the solution file. And I must have done the same thing more than once since I had three different projects open at the same time. Sometimes someone has to remind you of the obvious answer to make you go back and look at what you have done. Anyway thanks that solved my problem.

JR

Sunday, April 22, 2018 6:02 AM