abbreviating Mesh Collisions RRS feed

• Question

• This question regards creating a bounding plane (or box, or sphere).  It is in regards to both orienting the box by an external object and creating it by the minimum point along each axis.  I am not asking for code, specifically, any thoughts on this will be helpful.

I have been thinking about how to attain precision (mesh-to-mesh) collision testing, while sparing processing.  If a bounding plane is created to the minimum radius vertice, then calculations can be left only for those vertex outside the bounding area.  This is my thought, anyways.  The bounding plane is the catch-all area for collision, and the per-vertex calculations will avoid illogical triangles.  This only works if the bounding plane can be oriented perpendicular to another collision object.  Basically, this only works if the bounding plane forms between the two colliding objects.

I am in an XNA course, and trying my hand at implementing 3D collision.  I would like to try something creative to get better precision.  All responses are appreciated.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:29 PM

Answers

All replies