none
Project server Custom field or lookup table to fetch data from SQL RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to create a custom field which will fetch data from SQL server from some table, instead of manually entering the data into lookup table and assign it to custom field. Instead of fetch data from either lookup table, or manual entry, I want to write the sql query and associate the result with project server custom field.

Also I want to create a custom field (task/resource/project type) which have Identity/ unique number generated with prefix/suffix to it whenever we create a new item. EPM1PS, EPM2PS...

It would be great if anybody can get some information on this.

Thanks,

Nagaraj

Monday, October 21, 2013 5:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It's not possible to do what you want without some customization (e.g. code), so what I might suggest is maybe:

1. Create a custom JavaScript control to do your data lookup.
    2. Create a normal Text Custom Field without a lookup table.
    3. Using jQuery (and a CEWP) replace the PDP input field on your custom field with the JavaScript lookup control you created.

The following might come in handy as it does a similar thing for pure SharePoint data:

http://infopulseukraine.com/eng/blog/Web-Development/Interface/Working-with-SharePoint-Foundation-REST-Interface-Using-OData-and-jQuery/ 

As for your question about unique Id's again custom solution required, although there are some partners out there (ahem disclaimer; I work for one) that sell such solutions.

Hope that helps,

Martin Laukkanen (Project Server Blog - www.nearbaseline.com/blog)

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:55 AM
  • Hi Nagaraj

As Martin already mentioned this would definitely require customization but wanted to point out to few resoruces available for the same

• For getting data from a SQL server in your ECF - you may want to look at PDP customization solution starter, which has a component called autocomplete feature, which i did extended to make it to work where in you can either point it to a SQL table to fetch values from or to a look up table (Just wanted to give you a pointer i will not be able to share the solution at this point) just wanted to give you a starting point, as an alternative you might want to also look at 3rd party products like one Martin said his organization does, you may also look at Fluent Pro Autocomplete Manager 

Hope this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:12 PM