none
Typed Dataset Design view issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I have a typed dataset with four tables added to it. The problem here is when I open the DatasetX.xsd file in visual studio designer, I could see only 3 tables and could not see 4th table which is added recently by some xxxx resource. But I see that the 4<sup>th</sup> table related changes in DatasetX Designer.cs.

Now when I check-out xsd file and add a new column to any one of the table1 (2 or 3) I am loosing all the 4<sup>th</sup> table related changes.

Can you please let me know is there any specific reason for this issue or why 4<sup>th</sup> table is not loading in designer view?

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:30 AM

Answers

• All,

Thanks for all your time and your suggestion. I found the root cause of this issue, this is due to the incorrect merging of xsd. While doing the merging they have merged the designer file correctly but the xsd file was not merged correct (missing 4 th table completely). As the designer is correct there was no issue, when I was trying to edit the xsd to add new columns in table as you know the designer.cs gets regenerated, it was generating the designer as per the xsd( no 4th table inside).

We have taken over this proj recently from some other company and they have been working on this for last 6 years. There were lots of branches created merged etc….. I had tough time to track the root cause as I have with little knowledge of 4<sup>th</sup> table.

Once again thanks for all your time
    • Marked as answer by Svasu Tuesday, March 9, 2010 9:56 PM
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 9:56 PM

All replies

• Hello Svasu,

Welcome to ADO.NET DataSet forum!

Do you have the corresponding table definition and TableAdapter definition in the .xsd file?   Could you please be more specific about how do you add the 4<sup>th</sup> table into the typed DataSet? 

If it is convenient for you, could you please send me the demo typed DataSet that repro this issue?   I will do my best to help!   My mail address is v-micsun@microsoft.com.  

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 6:01 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your quick response and I appreciate that. I am not sure how the 4th tbl was added to the typed dataset coz that resource who made the changes is not available. When I open the XSD in alrova I could not find the 4th tbl in neither in the text not in the design.
    Right now I can't send that XSD to you but I will try to send it if possible. Meanwhile please let me know if there is any ways to trouble shoot this.

Thanks!
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Hello Svasu,

The problem is really strange to me.  Without the .xsd file, I don't think we can find the root cause easily.  How about setting the DataSet .xsd's Custom Tool property to empty, build the project and set it back to MSDataSetGenerator again?   Besides, could you please create a new DataSet in a new application and then add it to your original project?   

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:26 AM
  • Interested to see the result too.
    Could the 4th table just be covered by other tables in the view?

John Chen -- See my team blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/vsdata. All my posts are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confer no rights.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 6:46 AM
  • In my opinion the designer has created another XSD file. That's the only thing I can imagine. I mean, it's not the same but it happened to me something similar when working with Crystal Reports where I ended up with a copy of the same file that was auto generated without apparent reason.
    This makes sense to me since you're seeing something in the designer (i.e. the correct/newly created mysterious file with the 4th table) but when you're checking in/out the file (i.e. the correct one) you lose your changes because the correct xsd is updated.

So I would recommend, if you haven't done it yet, to either go to the project folder and check the files or in the solution explorer click on Show all project files.
    If you can't find the file like this another aggressive approach is to open directly in notepad the .csproj file and look for it.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 10:46 AM
  • All,

Thanks for all your time and your suggestion. I found the root cause of this issue, this is due to the incorrect merging of xsd. While doing the merging they have merged the designer file correctly but the xsd file was not merged correct (missing 4 th table completely). As the designer is correct there was no issue, when I was trying to edit the xsd to add new columns in table as you know the designer.cs gets regenerated, it was generating the designer as per the xsd( no 4th table inside).

We have taken over this proj recently from some other company and they have been working on this for last 6 years. There were lots of branches created merged etc….. I had tough time to track the root cause as I have with little knowledge of 4<sup>th</sup> table.

Once again thanks for all your time
    • Marked as answer by Svasu Tuesday, March 9, 2010 9:56 PM
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 9:56 PM