Creating a Logic Based Dashboard RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to create a logic based dashboard in SP 2010 without coding?  I want dashboard values (stoplight icons) to appear based on the evaluation of several factors in a Gantt chart (e.g., comparing today's date to a due date and the status of a line item).  The basic equation would be an IF statement with an AND sub-part.

I created a dashboard page and selected New | SharePoint List Based Status Indicator but it only offered the ability to either count or take a percentage of values on a given set of lines.  I also tried New | Excel Based Status Indicator but found that it requires numbers rather than TRUE or FALSE.

How do I accomplish my goal?  Is my only option to re-key SharePoint list data in Excel, create a dashboard there, and then use SharePoint web parts to display the results?

Thursday, September 13, 2012 1:40 PM

Answers

• So far, it appears that SharePoint is not able to provide this function in a list.  The closest one can get is to create the indicators in Excel and then use an Excel Services web part to make them visible in SharePoint.
    • Marked as answer by Mashuganah Friday, September 28, 2012 2:10 PM
    Friday, September 28, 2012 2:10 PM

All replies

• Have you thought about coming up with formulas that resolve to a 1 or a 0 and use that in place of a True or False and then using the Excel Based Status Indicators with that?

My Ramblings @ http://alanwhitehouse.wordpress.com and My Tweets @ http://www.twitter.com/alanwhitehouse

Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:18 PM
  • Alan - I tried your suggestion, but it created another problem.  I was able to create an indicator for a single value in the spreadsheet.  But when I selected New Item to create the next indicator, the only options available were to create an indicator based on the number of (i.e., a count) or percent of items in a list.  The option to base an indicator on a number in a cell was gone.

This problem is repeatable.

Any suggestions?

• Edited by Mashuganah Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:58 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:57 PM
  • So far, it appears that SharePoint is not able to provide this function in a list.  The closest one can get is to create the indicators in Excel and then use an Excel Services web part to make them visible in SharePoint.
    • Marked as answer by Mashuganah Friday, September 28, 2012 2:10 PM
    Friday, September 28, 2012 2:10 PM