Slowly Changing Dimension Wizard doesn't display destination table primary key column RRS feed

• Question

• User348747115 posted

I have added a Slowly Changing Dimension transformation to an SSIS package and have launched the Wizard to edit it.  After selecting the source (a SQL Server 2005 instance), if I select a very large table (9+ million rows), I'm encountering two strange behaviors:

1. The wizard hangs for several minutes before displaying the columns from that table.

2. The wizard does not display the primary key column.  This, of course, is the column I want to designate as the "business key", but can't because it's not displayed.

I know this is more like a fact table than a dimension, but this is not a data warehouse.  This is just a very large table, and I need to update a field in certain records based on the contents of a source text file.  Is there another transformation I should use to perform updates?

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 6:44 PM

All replies

• User-1295240686 posted

Hello<

I know that this post is a bit out-of-date now but maybe someone still have a similar issue with SCD wizard therefore I will write what helped me. Generally SCD wizard doesn't work with IDENTITY columns. So just create new table based on previous schema but ommit IDENTITY clause and SCD will buy it ;)

Cheers!

Sunday, February 3, 2013 9:10 AM
  • User-1044964615 posted

Radek - you just saved my life.

Instead of specifying the alternate key as identity I mistakenly selected the business key as identify and was baffled when it didn't display in the SCD drop-down.

I have been puzzling over it for an hour when I started Googling and as soon as I saw your post the lights went on! THANK YOU!

Friday, October 25, 2013 3:52 PM