Ideas for providing reports from a SQLite /SQLExpress database

General discussion

• Hi,

We plan to use WindowsAzure.MobileServices to provide an offline database for our windows 8.1 store app.

Can we have advice on the best way to provide reporting on this data?

Is running SQLServerExpress and Reporting Services possible and viable on a Surface 3?

What might be the equivalent approach using SQLite?

Can we embed the reporting engine within the main app or will we have to run reports app separately?

If this has already been covered extensively then can I please be pointed to the discussion.

Many thanks

Rob

Friday, March 06, 2015 5:13 PM

All replies

• >Can we have advice on the best way to provide reporting on this data?

>Can we embed the reporting engine within the main app or will we have to run reports app separately?

Either or Both.

Embed the reports in a Windows Desktop Application or Web Forms Application using Visual Studio Client Reports.  You can create an Azure Web Site provides the reports.  The reports would be part of  your Visual Studio Web Application. 

You can also run a SQL Server Reporting Services instance in Azure IaaS.  This will give you security, self-service report authoring, scheduled reports

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Friday, March 06, 2015 7:09 PM
  • Thanks David for taking the time to join the discussion.

It looks to me as though it is not possible to embed the report viewer within a Windows Store App.

I've tried to add it as a new item into a project without success.

Have you got any more info on this?

Thanks for the points about Azure but all required data will be sitting on the client machine.

Kind regards

Rob

Monday, March 09, 2015 4:12 PM
  • >it is not possible to embed the report viewer within a Windows Store App.

Correct.   You can use the WebView control to display an HTML version of the report or you can render the report to PDF on the server side and download it to the client.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Monday, March 09, 2015 9:59 PM