Avoid user from downloading video from asp.net web page RRS feed

• Question

• I have an asp.net website where users watch video tutorials and I don't want users to download the videos.

How can I prevent them from downloading the videos and just stream or play through the website. I am open to ideas using asp.net or html or any work arounds pleaseee.

Thank you.

Thursday, June 25, 2020 9:27 PM

Answers

• If a browser can play the video, the user can download and play the video. Any user can use web proxy or plugin to save any downloaded content to elsewhere even if you play media with "Encrypted Media Extension". (You can see how Apple's FairPlay DRM go, just to verify "people will always try to find way to circumvent DRM")

The only possibly solution is to use a plugin to play your contents in non-standard encoding, so even if user can download the stream and save it elsewhere, they cannot play it since they have no corresponding decoder.

• Edited by cheong00Editor Friday, June 26, 2020 2:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aryaa Friday, June 26, 2020 8:28 PM
    Friday, June 26, 2020 2:13 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• If a browser can play the video, the user can download and play the video. Any user can use web proxy or plugin to save any downloaded content to elsewhere even if you play media with "Encrypted Media Extension". (You can see how Apple's FairPlay DRM go, just to verify "people will always try to find way to circumvent DRM")

The only possibly solution is to use a plugin to play your contents in non-standard encoding, so even if user can download the stream and save it elsewhere, they cannot play it since they have no corresponding decoder.

• Edited by cheong00Editor Friday, June 26, 2020 2:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aryaa Friday, June 26, 2020 8:28 PM
    Friday, June 26, 2020 2:13 AM
    Answerer
  • Sure, Thank you!!
    Friday, June 26, 2020 8:28 PM