none
Are small line of business apps appropriate for inclusion in the Windows Phone Store?

Question

• I have a small business client with a need for a very, very simple Windows Embedded Handheld app (they require environmentally hardened devices). They’ll be inventorying widgets, entering meta data about the widgets into the app, and syncing the collected data into an Azure based database.

There’s potential for a broadly commercialized app, but we’re literally talking about 4-5 deployments for the time being. In any case, the app’s appeal is only to a very niche industrial audience and it would be non-functional for anyone without authorization.

So….

1. Does an app with such limited audience/function belong in the public store? Would it even clear Microsoft’s publishing requirements? Also, I'm not exactly clear as to what the cost of listing a store app is... is there any?
    2. What are the sideloading options/costs for a micro-sized business without any IT infrastructure (e.g. no domain)?

The metro/modern app interface is fantastic on touch devices, but Microsoft seems to make it very hard to deploy small-to-mid sized line of business apps for it. I've been wading through all the MSDN info on publishing/sideloading, but I haven’t found anything that clearly delineates what is appropriate for the store or what the full implications of sideloading are.

Thanks

Monday, January 12, 2015 7:27 PM

All replies

• Okay, my 500th search turned up something and I may have answered my own question. It appears that anyone can buy an Enterprise Sideloading key for $100:

https://blogs.windows.com/itpro/2014/04/03/windows-8-1-update-sideloading-enhancements/

But not easily...  you'll have to use a 3rd party reseller:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/licensing-options/open-license.aspx#tab=3

So, based on my current research, it seems sideloading would be appropriate for my client's scenario and the purchase of an Enterprise sideloading key is required... not sure why I have to pay twice to deploy a metro/modern app, but whatever...

Can anyone with some experience here verify my assessment?

Monday, January 12, 2015 7:53 PM