none
SuperPreview - IE9 Compatibility View

Question

• Hi,

I'm keen on using Expression Web SuperPreview for some browser compatibility testing.  I need to test a site designed for IE7 against IE9 in compatibility mode.  In SuperPreview, I have an option for IE8 in compatibility mode but not IE9 in compatibility mode.  Is there a way to test against IE9 in compatibility mode in SuperPreview?

Thanks.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:19 PM

All replies

• No there isn't and you could post that as a suggestion on Connect.

However, if you preview the site in IE9 and use the developer tools to switch between IE9 and IE9 compatability mode you should see the same result as viewing in IE9  and IE7 mode. That may all you need to do.

HTH

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Thanks for that suggestion Ian.  If my site was configured to force the browser into compatibility mode would SuperPreview respect that?
    Friday, September 23, 2011 10:46 AM
  • Just been doing some SuperPreview testing myself. Yes it does use the compatibility setting.

On the live site you may be aware that you can force IE into it's latest rendering mode if the user has another mode set, by using

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    Friday, September 23, 2011 11:20 AM
  • While not quite as nice as using SuperPreview if you preview in browser and open the IE developer's tools there is the option to see the page IE 7, 8, 9 or 9 compatbility mode(assuming you have 9 installed locally).

I find doing it that useful since you get rollover and javascript functionality as well.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Friday, September 23, 2011 2:14 PM
  • Thanks Cheryl, I presume from your post that JavaScript and rollover functionality is not available in SuperPreview?
    Monday, October 03, 2011 10:21 AM
  • That's right. If you are using JavaScript to render something on the page, that will be displayed correctly. What you don't get in SuperPreview is 'interactivity' with either CSS or JavaScript.

There is a 'page interaction mode' where you can log-on to a secure section of a site, but that's all.

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    Monday, October 03, 2011 10:41 AM