• Hi Guys,

Below are the catalog items in my WinCE 6.0 R3 OS image:

SYSGEN_TCPIP6=1

SYSGEN_TCPIP=1

SYSGEN_BTH=1

SYSGEN_BTH_PAN=1

SYSGEN_ETH_80211=1

IE 6.0 user-agent : WinCE

With BTPAN enabled in network connections, Internet Explorer 6.0 loads a webpage instantly via WIFI connection. If I disabled it, it takes about 3 minutes! However, if only TCPIPv6 catalog item is removed and after rebuilding the OS image, IE loads much faster even with BTPAN disabled. 

Anyone encountered this problem before? Can you share your experience?

Regards,

WCE6newbie

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:37 AM

All replies

• My guess is that "disabled" still allows the network stack to try the BTPAN connection. When its enabled, the stack quickly sees that it can't get through to the Web site and switches to Ethernet; when it's disabled, things go sideways for minutes before it falls back to Ethernet. When you request a connection to something, the TCP/IP stack will start trying to find the "fastest" connection to that host. Each adapter reports its base speed, either through the registry or via a GetAdapterInfo() call. My guess is that either a) the TCP/IP stack has cached the speed numbers and still thinks that BTPAN is faster than Ethernet, so is trying it first despite its disabled status, or b) disabling the adapter did not clear the registry entry for speed (can't remember the value name).

I think a quick test would be to disable BTPAN, save the registry, reboot the device, and try your Web connection. If it's still slow, check the COMM section of the registry for a speed value that might be "wrong" (or a bug in the network code causing it to read speed when disabled is set!)

If the connection is fast after reboot, it seems like a bug in the network stack (caching the speed number, maybe).

Lots of ifs and buts, I know,

Paul T.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 11:38 PM