none
Returned AdminDistrict Value incosistant RRS feed

• Question

• At some point this week, the returned admin district for a query has become inconsistent. In some cases it returns the full state name, and others it returns a two character state. In the past, it has only returned a two character state for US addresses.

For an example, if I use the example query:

http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Locations?CountryRegion=US&adminDistrict=WA&locality=Somewhere&postalCode=98001&addressLine=100%20Main%20St.&key=BingMapsKey 

I will get "WA" in the adminDistrict.

If I enter the following:

http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Locations?CountryRegion=US&adminDistrict=WA&locality=Somewhere&postalCode=98001&key=BingMapsKey 

I will get "Washington" for the adminDistrict.

I do not see this documented, and all the examples show a 2 character state for AdminDsitrict for US addresses.

Is this a permanent change? Anyone know?

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 7:03 PM

Answers

• The service has always worked this way. The geocoder does not consistently return admin districts in short or long form. The main reason for this is that the data is source from hundreds of data providers and they don't all store that data in the same way and the data from different data providers can't be mixed in each result to create consistency.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 4:04 AM

All replies

• The service has always worked this way. The geocoder does not consistently return admin districts in short or long form. The main reason for this is that the data is source from hundreds of data providers and they don't all store that data in the same way and the data from different data providers can't be mixed in each result to create consistency.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 4:04 AM
  • I beg to differ. I have been actively using the service since 2013, and have been getting back two character values for AdminDistrict for queries with US postal codes up until a few days ago. If it wasn't like this, my application would have failed long ago.  And note that all the US examples in the documentation show two character state.

With that said, the two character vs full state name is workable. I can work around this. It just would have been nice to know about a change like this.

What I can't work around, is that I am also no longer receiving the city name (locality) back consistently for queries with zipcodes. Some work, and some do not. Take for example 60559 or 60061 (no city returned) and 60062 (city is returned).

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 3:47 PM