none
.net framework fail to install, error 0x00000057 RRS feed

• Question

1. Version of .NET Framework you are trying to install.
      I've tried .NET 4.6 and 4.6.2, neither work
    2. Where did you get it (web page, path, application that redistributed the framework)
      https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=53344 
    3. Is this a pre-release, CTP or beta version? Which? (Beta#, CTP (Month Year), RC, etc)I don't think so. There is a preview build for 4.6.2 but I made sure not to grab the one that says tha.
    4. What .NET Framework Patches do you currently have installed? 

I've also tried using the NetFxRepairTool. It didn't work.

Error Logs

OS Version = 6.3.9600, SP = 0.0, Platform 2
    OS Description = Win81 - x64 
    MSI = 5.0.9600.17905
    Windows servicing = 6.3.9600.17709
    CommandLine = E:\4d6f7039f28a849147b7c361895d\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64 /redist
    TimeZone = Pacific Daylight Time
    Initial LCID = 1033
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
    Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2 Setup
    Package Version = 4.6.01590
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: Disabled
    Number of applicable items: 6
    Exe (E:\4d6f7039f28a849147b7c361895d\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
    Exe (E:\4d6f7039f28a849147b7c361895d\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
    Exe (E:\4d6f7039f28a849147b7c361895d\x64-Windows8.1-KB3151864-x64.cab) failed with 0x57 - The parameter is incorrect. .
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x00000057), "The parameter is incorrect. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:44).

Thursday, August 4, 2016 2:51 PM

Answers

• Hi HopefullyHopeless,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Have you tried the web installer of the .NET Framework 4.6.2?

According to the error message, it may be related to the Windows update service or the Windows Module Installer service, can you please have a try with the following:

1. Go to "Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools" and double-click "services"

2. Right click on “Windows Update” and select ‘Restart’

3. Re-run the .NET Framework 4.6.2 installer as administrator

4. If it not works, please reproduce step1 and right-click the “Windows Modules Installer” and select ‘Start’

5. Re-run the .NET Framework 4.6.2 installer as administrator

Before installation, please followed the tips as below:

1. Make sure Windows update already up-to-date

2. Clean up %temp% folder

3. Temporarily disable anti-virus software

If this issue still persists, I need your help to the installation log. Please use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.zip under %temp% folder. Please upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, August 5, 2016 3:14 AM

All replies

• Hi HopefullyHopeless,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Have you tried the web installer of the .NET Framework 4.6.2?

According to the error message, it may be related to the Windows update service or the Windows Module Installer service, can you please have a try with the following:

1. Go to "Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools" and double-click "services"

2. Right click on “Windows Update” and select ‘Restart’

3. Re-run the .NET Framework 4.6.2 installer as administrator

4. If it not works, please reproduce step1 and right-click the “Windows Modules Installer” and select ‘Start’

5. Re-run the .NET Framework 4.6.2 installer as administrator

Before installation, please followed the tips as below:

1. Make sure Windows update already up-to-date

2. Clean up %temp% folder

3. Temporarily disable anti-virus software

If this issue still persists, I need your help to the installation log. Please use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.zip under %temp% folder. Please upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, August 5, 2016 3:14 AM
  • Thank you Sara, that did it.

What it was was Windows Modules Installer being disabled by default, which is odd. But, enabled that and tried installing then it worked.

Again, thanks!

Friday, August 5, 2016 4:32 AM
  • Hi HopefullyHopeless,

I'm so glad to hear that your issue is solved and thank you for your sharing.

Best regards,

Sara

Friday, August 5, 2016 7:20 AM