none
Best way for general WCF monitoring RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Out of the box, I see WCF performance counters as an option. But I also read about the glory of using AppFabric. Then of course, I can hook into the WCF pipeline and do my own monitoring. 

Which is best bet here? We would probably be looking at running WCF services in Azure in the future. So I need a solution that would work in Azure too. 

What do you guys use?

-- 
    Werner

Monday, November 11, 2013 8:54 AM

Answers

• I see AppFabric as better option here than using WCF performance counters unless you use custom performance counters to calculate required data.

HTH,

Amit Bhatia

• Marked as answer by Werner Clausen Monday, November 11, 2013 2:57 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 1:24 PM

All replies

• By default the WCF performance counter are turned off because the counter have potential to increase the memory footprint of the WCF application significantly.This can be tracked using Windows Performance Monitor.

Performance counters can be enabled from the diagnostics section of the .config file for the service.

Check the link : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms735098.aspx

Vipul Jain

Monday, November 11, 2013 9:12 AM
  • I see AppFabric as better option here than using WCF performance counters unless you use custom performance counters to calculate required data.

HTH,

Amit Bhatia

• Marked as answer by Werner Clausen Monday, November 11, 2013 2:57 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 1:24 PM

HTH,

Amit Bhatia

Thanks, will the Azure Appfabric support all the monitoring as the non-Azure does? I can't seem to find any documentation on that...
    Monday, November 11, 2013 2:59 PM