How to update a SharePoint Calendar when a workflow is completed? RRS feed

• Question

• A Leave Request App was created using SP Designer 2013 on Office 365. It consists of a 2 step approval system with content types being SP 2013 Workflow task therefore the task list, calendar, mytasks, etc are all intertwine. However, in the list where the employee has to enter their request there are three fields called Leave Type(Choice) Start Date (Date) and End Date (Date). Once the Leave is requested and approval is given, I will like to update the calendar with the Employee's Name, Leave Time, and Start and End Date.

I've tried creating a calendar view based on the request mentioned above with the time intervals being start date and end date but somehow it's not working. The only thing that is being entered on the calendar is the due date for the task when it is requested. 

Question: Should another workflow be created to update the calendar or create a view? 

In the case of the workflow how do I go about updating the approved start date and end date to another calendar or same calendar in the workflow? What Actions or Conditions should be used? Please supply samples. 

Basically,  the aim is to have HR have one view to see at glimpse who is on vacation, sick leave etc and the period of leave after it has been approved. 

Thanks a million.. 

Any help will be appreciated. 

Regards,

• Edited by aslr12 Monday, January 9, 2017 6:18 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 6:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Could you please provide a screenshot of the tasks in the list view?

Best Regards,

Victoria

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by aslr12 Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:16 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:10 AM

All replies

• Hi aslr- the easiest way to accomplish what you want is to create lookup columns in the calendar that point to the columns you want the information from.

cameron rautmann

Monday, January 9, 2017 6:24 PM
  • Here you go

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4d9d13d6-fdc7-474d-b08c-615826559e82/sharepoint-calendar-end-time-column-and-workflow-updating?forum=sharepointcustomizationprevious

Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the answer if it helps you

Monday, January 9, 2017 7:58 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your scenario, I recommend to create a Calendar view for the Leave Request App List.

But in the Time Interval in the Calendar view need to select the Start Date and End Date, and you need to select the status which is approved in the Filter part for displaying only the approved requests.

Best Regards,

Victoria

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:15 AM
  • Hi Guys,

Tried the lookup column and Calendar view techniques and I can enter the start and end intervals but for the filter section the Approval Status Column from the workflow itself is not appearing to select. In addition to this, I created a new column called Leave Status and added it to the workflow to be updated depending on the workflow outcome.

Unfortunately, both fields are not appearing in the filter section to select in order to set the filter properly.

Regards,

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 4:50 PM
  • Hi,

What is the type of the Leave Status column?

Could you please provide a screenshot of your list?

Regards,

Victoria

• Edited by Victoria Xia Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:04 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:03 PM
  • Hi,

See attached for the screenshot with the column names and types associated with the list. The leave status is a simple line of text type.

Regards,

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:46 PM
  • Hi,

I also tested the same scenario in my environment, however the custom fields were listed in the Filter section.

Please provide a screenshot of the Filter section in the calendar view settings when you create the calendar view.

Best Regards,

Victoria

Thursday, January 12, 2017 5:46 AM
  • Hi,

Please see screenshot attached.

Most of the custom fields are populating except the workflow status one and the one I created to be updated since it wasn't pulling the workflow status field in the filter drop down. Strangely though both fields are not appearing in the filter.

Also, I tried creating an entirely new list with two columns Department (Simple line of text) and Manager (Person or Group) then created a lookup column to use this list data, the Departments column appears but not the Manager Column.

Can it be a bug on the system? ( Not sure)

Thanks,

Thursday, January 12, 2017 7:01 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that the Leave Status column is not added to the default content type in the Task list.

Please click into the default content type and then add the Leave Status column to the content type.

Best Regards,

Victoria

Monday, January 16, 2017 8:27 AM
  • I got the fields to pull in finally with your advice but when the Start and End dates are selected and the filter is created, it's still not appearing on the calendar.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 1:00 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please provide a screenshot of the tasks in the list view?

Best Regards,

Victoria

• Marked as answer by aslr12 Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:16 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:10 AM