Required mdb file is not loaded. message when migrating MS access db to sql 2008 Express using SSMA RRS feed

• Question

• Dear friends,

When migrating Office Access 2003 DB to SQL Server 2008 R2 using the SQL Server migration assistant for Access tool, the following error message is displayed; "Required MDB file is not loaded"; and I couldn't get the list of tables and queries to be migrated.  Any one with such a problem earlier and a solution for that?

I am sure the tables used are indexed. I confirmed that by creating a new database with indexed tables also yet proving no success.

I do not want to use the upsize wizard avaialble in the MS access(because I am analysing all the possible ways of transforming the data).

I am expecting a solution to be migrate the data from access by using SSMA. Can someone please help on this?

I have a sample DB and tables created by me.

Regards,

K.G. Manivannan

Friday, August 30, 2013 1:49 PM

Answers

• Hi kcgmani,

When migrating Office Access 2003 database to SQL Server 2008 R2 by using the SQL Server migration assistant (SSMA), according to the error message, we recommend you should download the latest SSMS for Access. For example, Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access v4.2  allows you to import data from any Access version since Access97. When we use Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access v4.2, the DAO provider version 12.0 or 14.0 is required. This DAO provider is included in Microsoft Office 2007 or 2010.

There is more detail about using SSMA to migrate Access to SQL Server. You can review the following blog.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ssma/archive/2011/01/28/access-to-sql-server-migration-how-to-use-ssma.aspx

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Friday, September 6, 2013 9:02 AM
    Monday, September 2, 2013 3:46 AM

All replies

• Hi kcgmani,

When migrating Office Access 2003 database to SQL Server 2008 R2 by using the SQL Server migration assistant (SSMA), according to the error message, we recommend you should download the latest SSMS for Access. For example, Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access v4.2  allows you to import data from any Access version since Access97. When we use Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access v4.2, the DAO provider version 12.0 or 14.0 is required. This DAO provider is included in Microsoft Office 2007 or 2010.

There is more detail about using SSMA to migrate Access to SQL Server. You can review the following blog.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ssma/archive/2011/01/28/access-to-sql-server-migration-how-to-use-ssma.aspx

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Friday, September 6, 2013 9:02 AM
    Monday, September 2, 2013 3:46 AM
  • Hi Sofiya,

Thank you for your reply and apologies for delayed response as i was on my holidays.

I tried installing v4.2 and even v5.2 but i could find no success. :(

Is there any other solution that you can help me?.

Expecting a reply soon!!!!

Well Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Manivannan

K.G.Manivannan

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:55 AM
  • Hi Sofiya,

It worked. Thank you so much. Much much appreciated.

It really helped.

Regards,

Manivannan

K.G.Manivannan

Friday, October 4, 2013 5:02 PM
  • Hi there,

I had same problem, went on and on to find solution, eventually Found simple solution !!!

Reason: DAO required as a prerequisite to run SSMA Access

Just install, 

Access 2007 Download: Access Runtime

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=4438

It will install , DAO required as a prerequisite to run SSMA Access.

Then you will be able to use SSMA sucessfully.

Note: if  it gives 64 bit/32 bit problem then  it will be resolved by by running the 32 bit version of SSMA.

Select  SSMA 32 bit from  "All Program" section of  by running the 32 bit version of SSMA 

Best regards

Friday, July 18, 2014 11:55 AM