none
Storage Cost from Microsoft Azure Price Calculator

Question

• I am trying to calculate the cost from Azure Pricing Calculator and i am using Unmanaged Disks.

So in Pricing Calculator there are two options, Basic and Premium (SSD). 

When i choose Basic Storage, it shows me two components Capacity and Storage Transactions.

When i choose Premium Storage, the Storage Transaction field disappears 

Why this is so ?

Also, is 10,000 transactions considered to be one 1 Unit?

10, 000 transactions means what exactly, is it Read and Write Operations?

Can anyone please let me know this.

Pallab Chakraborty

Friday, April 28, 2017 7:02 AM

All replies

• Premium storage pricing works bit differently than the regular storage and hence you see that the storage transaction field disappearing. 

To illustrate the premium pricing - the way it works is it (Azure) rounds up the provisioned size to nearest pre-defined disk storage option e.g. (P0 = 128 GB, P1 = 512GB, P2=1024GB) and charges accordingly. e.g. for provisioned 100GB disk, pricing will be based on the nearest rounded option which is P0. Hence the premium storage charges are based on the entire capacity no matter if it is used or not, though this sounds as a bit of disadvantage but at the same time you get guaranteed performance.

You can read all the details of premium storage pricing here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/storage-premium-storage#pricing-and-billing

About transactions - It is essentially the way you interact with the storage account. E.g. if you are uploading a file to storage account and gets uploaded in one transaction (i.e. without breaking it in multiple chunks) then it is considered as one transaction and if file is uploaded using 500 chunks then it is considered as 500 transactions. So in a nutshell, each REST request made for blob / queue or table storage is considered as a potential transaction for billing.

Hope this helps you.

Bhushan Gawale | RapidCircle

Friday, April 28, 2017 7:32 AM