Track Changes of the UI fields... .NET and Oracle RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All...

How feasible is it to implement Change Tracking funcitonality with .NET and Oracle combination. We have some 20 fileds that we need to track for changes and capture the changes and show them in UI.

I believe, it could be achieved with very less coding when we use MSSQL.. may be i am wrong..!

Any thoughts and knowledge on this would be great.

thanks,

r m

Monday, December 15, 2008 3:59 PM

All replies

• I believe what you are looking for is called as Operational Data Store (ODS).  There are out of the box products available in the market to create ODS from most popular databases like mssql, oracle, etc.,  Product that I am familiar and briefly used was DataMirror that reads the tranlog of the database and ships all the changes to an ODS datastore.  I have implemented this manually as well by creating triggers insert, update and delete triggers on the tables I want to track the changes and store it in a different database...
    One thing I would recommend as your create ODS is create OLAP views on the ODS fact tables for reporting purpose so the queries run faster.  Also, create a archieve storage/offload rows that are older than what you need to keep for reporting purpose to avoid running into space issues.

Hope this helps.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 3:22 AM