none
Original Word 2003 document inside a DOCX archive? RRS feed

• Question

• I was reading http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338205.aspx#office2007aboutnewfileformat_structureoftheofficexmlformats with a view to replacing an existing system with something based around the new XML spec when I encountered the following in the Structure section of the page:

Application Folder (such as Word)

Contains application-specific, document component files such as (for Word):

• wordDocument.xml    Contains the data (text) in the document, plus styles and font settings.

• footer.xml    Contains information about footers in the document, such as what page they are on and some styles information.

• header.xml    Contains information similar to that found in the footer.xml file, but regarding headers.

• wordDocument.doc    Is a copy of the original document.

• styles.xml    Contains information about the styles found in the document, such as font sizes, table styles, and bulleted lists.

I can't find a reference anywhere else to the Word folder containing a wordDocument.doc file or how to get Office to create this (saving an original 2003 file as 2007 and preserving compatability for example doesn't do this.)  Has anyone else ever encountered this?
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 11:43 AM

All replies

• A way to create .doc inside word document is to embedded a doc file in a docx document.
    Steps:
    1. Boot Microsoft Office 2007.
    2. Insert ->Object ->Create from file
    3. Browse to an exist doc file, and click OK
    4. Save it as docx file.

After doing this, you can unzip the docx file, and get the *.doc file under \word\embeddings .

Friday, November 20, 2009 4:03 AM
  • Sorry Cherry,

You've slightly missed the point of this.  Embedding an arbitrary .doc file would be quite easy, however, the MSDN article about the new file formats says that in the /word folder alongside all the .xml documents there will also be a copy of the Word document in .doc format.  I'm trying to find out whether the article's either wrong / out of date (for example with this getting removed in the beta) or whether there's something you've got to do to word to make it produce that file when you save.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 9:21 AM
  • You can embed the doc file as an AltChunk. Take a look at the following post for more information: http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones/archive/2008/12/08/the-easy-way-to-assemble-multiple-word-documents.aspx. The AltChunk would be automatically imported on Open (thus an easy way to merge documents together)
    Zeyad Rajabi (MS)
    Monday, November 23, 2009 10:57 PM