Suggestion: Allow to postpone UAC decission

General discussion

• When UAC dialog appers there is quite a limited amount of information available, it also blocks other work. This has several unsecure consequences.

• Making an informative decision is quite hard, because there is a lack of information.
    • The user must decide allow/block before he can continue his/her work. In many cases this results in allowing just to be able to get back to work.
    • The "need to decide before back to work" is even unpleasant when the user is educated enough so it would like to consult the decision with its IT support. This support might not come immediatelly, so the user needs to keep the dialog open and passivelly wait even an hour or a day for the IT stuff arrival. The computer is blocked for that time. The IT stuff might be the IT admin in company, a technical oriented family member, neighbour, a commercial company, whatever.

I know there are some configuration options available which might disable some of the previous concerns but for the cost of being less secure. For example, showing the dialog on the user desktop instead on the secure one, solves all of the above, but it is easier for naughty applications to click on the dialog automatically and such bypassing the user willness.

So I suggest to make us postpone the UAC decission to a further time. From the user perspective, the UAC dialog is presented as another application - it's even shown in the taskbar. Building on this concept, some natural ideas comes to my mind:

• Ways to switch between applications works as normally - ALT+TAB, WIN+TAB, touch switch gestures etc. It works the same way to get the dialog shown, so it would work the other way as well.
    • Allowing to minimalize the window - it will "minimalize" the dialog back to the taskbar.

As soon as the user is ready for the decission, he just click/switch back to that dialog and proceed further.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:31 AM

All replies

• Windows 7 already does this if you set UAC to not darken the screen. I imagine there's a similar setting in Win8 (haven't had time to install it yet).
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:49 PM
  • The "dark screen" is the "secure" desktop I have talked in the post that it lowers the security.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:56 PM