Easy way to sync data from SQLLite between devices?

Question

• If you built an app that stores data in SQLLite database, what way would you sync these data between e.g. phone and PC?
    Friday, November 7, 2014 8:23 PM

Answers

• Sync framework has been around for a while and it isn't obsolete in any way. This is the most optimized way to get the job done.

The example you gave was between a PC and phone. So you would need at least a free copy of SQL Server like the Express version on the PC. The phone would have SQLLite. This way you don't need any extra servers involved in the sync process.

But if you would like a different approach, then you might have to implement some way to script out database table data changes and apply does changes accordingly. Or you can just script out all data any time you perform sync, which isn't optimal since your data is expected to grow.

Let me know if this helps.

Abdulwahab Suleiman

Friday, November 21, 2014 12:15 AM

All replies

• Hello Stefan54,

Microsoft Sync Framework is a robost synchronization platform that facilitates synchronization of data across multiple data stores, supporting any date type, data store, transfer protocol and network topology.

The Sync Framework Toolkit extends the Sync Framework capabilities for building offline applications, making it easier to expose data for synchronization to applications running on any client platform.

There is actually a Sync Toolkit for WinRT project on Codeplex you can try and see if this helps accomplish your task.

Abdulwahab Suleiman

Saturday, November 8, 2014 1:56 AM
  • Thank you for reply.

First two of solutions that you mentioned seems to be quite old, aren't they? The last one is fortunately created for Win8. It's really interesting, but as I see, I will need to have my own server (which I don't have and didn't plan to have). Do I have to buy one, or maybe Microsoft provides some ways (e.g. through OneDrive) to sync that data?

I heared about RomingSettings, but I think it won't be enough. Some people told me that that could be great solution, but in fact,what I want to store isn't setting and I'm afraid that user would need to store more data than limits of RoamingSettings allows him to store.

Saturday, November 8, 2014 10:46 AM
  • Sync framework has been around for a while and it isn't obsolete in any way. This is the most optimized way to get the job done.

The example you gave was between a PC and phone. So you would need at least a free copy of SQL Server like the Express version on the PC. The phone would have SQLLite. This way you don't need any extra servers involved in the sync process.

But if you would like a different approach, then you might have to implement some way to script out database table data changes and apply does changes accordingly. Or you can just script out all data any time you perform sync, which isn't optimal since your data is expected to grow.

Abdulwahab Suleiman

Friday, November 21, 2014 12:15 AM