Steps to change the SP manage accounts password RRS feed

• Question

• We have changed the passwords for the service accounts inside our active directory. So I changed the application pool identify passwords accordingly. Then I went to “Central administration >> Security >> General Security >> Configure managed accounts ”, I saw that the “last password change” column was changed accordingly to match today date as follow:-

So I though that I do not need to manually change the manage accounts passwords inside central administration, but when I try viewing the search service's content source  I got the following error:-

Sorry, something went wrong 
    Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {0FF1CE15-0005-0000-0000-000000000000} failed due to the following error: 8007042d The service did not start due to a logon failure. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007042D). 

So I went back to the managed accounts inside CA, I edit it , then I chose to “change password now >> Use existing password” and I entered the new password there as follow:-

so now I can access the search service’s content source.

So can anyone advice on this , I mean do I need to manually changed the SP managed account password , whenever we change the service account password inside active directory? and why the SP did not change the password accordingly when we changed it on active directory,,, I mean the “last password change” column was changed to today date but seems the password inside SP did not change ,, or not sure what happened ?.

• Edited by johnjohn11 Wednesday, April 1, 2015 12:40 PM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 12:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

from my understanding you're changing the password directly in Active Directory. Therefore SharePoint doesn't notice the change so it's necesarry to change it the SharePoint Central Admin. This will then change the App Pool as well.

If it's a requirement for you to change passwords regulary consider the option "Enable automatic password change" from within the "Manage Account" page.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Dennis

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 1:21 PM
  • Hi,

from my understanding you're changing the password directly in Active Directory. Therefore SharePoint doesn't notice the change so it's necesarry to change it the SharePoint Central Admin. This will then change the App Pool as well.

If it's a requirement for you to change passwords regulary consider the option "Enable automatic password change" from within the "Manage Account" page.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Dennis

thanks for the reply. yes we changed the password directly inside Active Directory, then when i went to “Central administration >> Security >> General Security >> Configure managed accounts ”, i found that the “last password change” column was updated, so this means that SP knew that we changed the password is this correct ? but the search service raised an error "login failed", but when i manually update the managed account password from the central administration,, everything work well,,,, so i am not sure what is going on ? could the reason be that SP will updated the "last password chnage" date , without updating the password itself ..

• Edited by johnjohn11 Wednesday, April 1, 2015 2:13 PM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 2:12 PM
  • Hi,

If you change the password of managed account in the Active Directory, although SharePoint gets the new change date from the AD.  we also need to update the password in the SharePoint too. because it will not updated in the SharePoint and if AD and SharePoint 2013 account passwords are not synchronized, services in the SharePoint farm won't start.

So we need to do the following:

Change the Password of managed account  in AD.

Update the Password of managed account in the SharePoint.

Besides, take a look at the following articles:

http://alpesh.nakars.com/blog/powershell-script-to-change-managed-account-password/

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff724278.aspx

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 2, 2015 8:18 AM