How to prepare a VS2010 project to be edited with Blend? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I wonder how to prepare my work so that an external company may design my application using blend, WITHOUT transmitting any non design source code to that company.

What is the entry point in blend, when you have wrote a wpf app using default styles and controls with VS2010?

May I deliver a simple compiled (and running) .exe file, and expect the styling company to open it directly with Blend (Blend may extract .xaml files from resources), and send me modified .xaml files back?

This would be the most easy way to protect critical source code, since my .exe would be obfuscated for all what is NOT design.

May I deliver a [compiling but NOT running] solution, containing all .xaml files and all dependencies that VS2010 requires to graphically edit these .xaml files?

This would be another way to avoid transmitting non design source code to an external company.

Any other ideas are welcome!

Thanks,

Sylvain.

• Moved by Min Zhu Friday, October 15, 2010 6:48 AM (From:Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF))
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:27 AM

Answers

• Blend works on the same sln files that Visual Studio 2010 does. It cannot open a compiled exe file.

You could structure your application such that all of the code you want hidden is in a separate assembly, which could then be obfuscated and compiled into a strong name signed dll. The project you give to the design company could then use the needed code from your assembly.

Ideally you will give them a .sln that can compile/run just like in VS so they can work effectively in Blend.

Friday, October 15, 2010 1:08 PM

All replies

• Blend works on the same sln files that Visual Studio 2010 does. It cannot open a compiled exe file.

You could structure your application such that all of the code you want hidden is in a separate assembly, which could then be obfuscated and compiled into a strong name signed dll. The project you give to the design company could then use the needed code from your assembly.

Ideally you will give them a .sln that can compile/run just like in VS so they can work effectively in Blend.

Friday, October 15, 2010 1:08 PM
  • Thanks. I will work that way (separate class library).
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 1:45 PM