Knowledge management vs. Document management. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

When it comes to implementation of KM and DM in SharePoint, both looks similar to me. I am really confused between two when it comes to implementation.

I am wondering what KM has extra that DM doesn’t have when it comes in implementation in SharePoint 20o13. Can anyone please help me to understand this.

Regards Restless Spirit

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:39 AM

Answers

• Lets understand it this way

Forums, blogs, post, etc are KM. You can ask query get answer etc from this KM.

Document manage would be more practices followed like Code of conduct, Rules, policies. Or sales data, etc

May be you are referring to what features would each of them have. 

Both of them have can all the major feature you can think of like search, tags, impletation, etc

But the catch is how the data is created and saved

If this helped you resolve your issue, please mark it Answered

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:40 PM

All replies

• Check if below can help

http://www.kmworld.com/Articles/White-Paper/Article/Content-Management-vs.-Knowledge-ManagementA-Summary-of-Key-Differences-40967.aspx

http://www.sixfeetup.com/blog/kms-vs-CMS-what-differences

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 7:09 AM
  • Knowledge management is generally more focused on information sharing and retrieval, often not in documents, whilst Document Management is more document orientated (hint in the name) and around long term archive content.

In the end they are two aspects of the same challenge, making sure what needs to be shared is shared and what needs to be stored is stored.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:03 AM
  • Thanks Alex & Inderjeet. 

I know the theoretical concepts. I want to understand technically, what all features of SharePoint 2013 make it a Good KM. From technical point of view both KM & DM looks similar to me.  

Regards Restless Spirit

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:31 PM
  • Lets understand it this way

Forums, blogs, post, etc are KM. You can ask query get answer etc from this KM.

Document manage would be more practices followed like Code of conduct, Rules, policies. Or sales data, etc

May be you are referring to what features would each of them have. 

Both of them have can all the major feature you can think of like search, tags, impletation, etc

But the catch is how the data is created and saved

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:40 PM