No Run... or ShutDown commands

Question

• Windows 8 Dev Preview does not have a way to use the Start Menu Run... command.  It also doesn't allow you to restart or to shutdown the computer.  The only workaround I found was to access the TaskManager with Ctrl+Alt+Delete.   I hope this is not the final way to access these important tasks.

Also, trying to use search on the computer does not result in finding cmd.exe when you type cmd.exe in the search box with Computer set as the search location.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:34 PM

Answers

• You can also click on your photo in the upper right corner, choose Log off and on the login screen, there is a shut down button on the bottom right.

Or, a better way when using keyboard, is to just pres Alt+F4 while on Desktop (sure, having the focus on desktop or the taskbar), and you see the legacy dialog with many useful options like shutdown, restart etc.

Or, a better then the better way, just press the Power Button (I presume that your computer will not power off directly, but will rather send a shutdown request to Windows instead), or if you are running Windows 8 in a virtual machine, use the appropriate soft shutdown command (for example, Shut Down Guest in VMware Workstation 8 (note that you might need to have VMware tools installed for the soft shutdown to work).
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:58 PM
  • Hope you have got your answer by now.

All you have to do is to take your pointer to the lower left corner of the screen, select Setting, click the power button that appears on the lower right hand corner and choose your option to Restart or Shut Down.

To get the Run command type 'Run' anywhere while in Tiles menu and you will get your command. While still in Tiles menu, go to the lower left corner again, click Search and you have all the applications lined up alphabetically, select Run or Command Prompt, right click it, choose Advance to Run as an Administrator.

Irfan
    Monday, October 3, 2011 11:01 AM

All replies

• For example, if I wanted to run Notepad.exe by pressing the Start button in Windows 7 and then type notepad.exe in the box ?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:40 PM
    Answerer
  • The only way I've found to access Shutdown/Restart is to hit Win+I and hit the Power option.  I'm really hoping they move this to a more visible and accessible location.

As far as run goes, good ol' Win+R brings it up.

• Proposed as answer by austin.greca Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:42 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:40 PM
  • In your case, you're looking for what sounds like the Start Search bar.  If you hit the Windows key, the Start Screen will appear.  Just start typing the program you're looking for and it will begin to search for it.  It took me a bit to find this out...
    • Proposed as answer by austin.greca Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:42 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:42 PM
  • Move mouse to bottom left > Settings > Power > Shutdown
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:43 PM
  • You've GOT to be kidding me.  Shutdown is a SETTING?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:47 PM
  • well I'm not sure if cmd.exe is a MetroUI app so going to the metro start screen doesn't sound like a good idea.  As stated when I tried to search in the classic interface it was unable to locate cmd.exe from which I could launch notepad, shutdown, etc.  I had to go into the system32 directory to launch cmd.exe and to pin it to the taskbar.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:49 PM
  • If you hit Win+R to open run, you can open cmd from there.

It will also appear if you hit the Windows button and type cmd.  Even in Metro it will search just like the Win7/Vista Start Search.

• Edited by austin.greca Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:52 PM
    • Proposed as answer by austin.greca Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:52 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:51 PM
  • You can also click on your photo in the upper right corner, choose Log off and on the login screen, there is a shut down button on the bottom right.

Or, a better way when using keyboard, is to just pres Alt+F4 while on Desktop (sure, having the focus on desktop or the taskbar), and you see the legacy dialog with many useful options like shutdown, restart etc.

Or, a better then the better way, just press the Power Button (I presume that your computer will not power off directly, but will rather send a shutdown request to Windows instead), or if you are running Windows 8 in a virtual machine, use the appropriate soft shutdown command (for example, Shut Down Guest in VMware Workstation 8 (note that you might need to have VMware tools installed for the soft shutdown to work).
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:58 PM
  • Thanks! This is pretty easy. LOL. I wondered what happened to it. Of course, the Preview is a work in progress...

Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:13 AM
  • Hey Penciline,

When you search in Computer using Windows Explorer, make sure that your search is set to use the "All subfolders" option instead of the "Current folder" option.

Also, as noted above, you can type the name of the program you want to launch in the Start screen to access CMD that way as well. In this case you would:

• Press the Windows key to enter the Start screen
    • Type CMD on your keyboard

You should then see "cmd" listed. If you want to use "Run as administrator" or similar just right click cmd or its icon and click Advanced in the App bar.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 7:49 PM
  • Use Alt + F4 Key this bring up the menu for restart, shutdown, sleep, switch users and logoff screen you can now shutdown, restart etc with ease,

All functions under windows can use a hot key combination in some form otherwise i guess you have to alter the registry keys to show the shutdown and other commands on the start button so far i have not got into this far i only installed it five minutes ago.

Hell No
    Monday, October 3, 2011 8:30 AM
  • Hope you have got your answer by now.

All you have to do is to take your pointer to the lower left corner of the screen, select Setting, click the power button that appears on the lower right hand corner and choose your option to Restart or Shut Down.

To get the Run command type 'Run' anywhere while in Tiles menu and you will get your command. While still in Tiles menu, go to the lower left corner again, click Search and you have all the applications lined up alphabetically, select Run or Command Prompt, right click it, choose Advance to Run as an Administrator.

Irfan
    Monday, October 3, 2011 11:01 AM