none
Exchange 2010 subdomain configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Let me explain my situation as this is strange and I am baffled and new to this organization.  I work for a University and we have tons of email servers on campus.  Everyone has a  @university.edu email and account, but all the departments / colleges under the main university do their own thing.

So that means I work for @dpt.university.edu and we have our own Exchange 2010 server.  Oh, and @university.edu is a Linux free something or another.

We have been delegated the sub domain and manage our own dns they are secondary.  We have only 1 smtp on people's accounts (dpt.university.edu) but when people here send mail it is @university.edu.  When people respond it goes to @university.edu.  I have been having people configure a forward rule from university to dpt.university.edu and that works.

So what am I missing?  Where else should I be looking?  I have not had to manage exchange since 2003.

Thanks

tim

• Edited by tcgood Monday, October 6, 2014 5:26 PM
    Monday, October 6, 2014 5:25 PM

Answers

• So I have found this.  On the Edge Transport Server/ SMTP box there is a series of Powershell commands that will do this.  Basically AddressRewriteEntry is the core (Get- and Remove- before).  There was one set they to remove the subdomain.  Not sure why but now I know and so do you.

• Marked as answer by tcgood Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:15 PM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:15 PM

All replies

• So that is a bit confusing.  I am sure main campus has an edge transport for their site, but we are not setup as a forest or affiliated what so ever.  Interestingly enough you send mail to dpt.university.edu the full mail name is displayed. 

So we have 1 edge transport here at the dpt.university.edu, I cannot tell too much about central campus.  I feel like this could be a dns issue, but our dpt.university.edu has the mail subdomain with the mx record pointing to the smtp server.  I will admit I did not set this up, but it bugs me that I cannot figure it out.

Tim

PS HUH? I looked at the link and things look setup correctly not sure what more I need to do.

Monday, October 6, 2014 9:21 PM
  • sorry, I posted wrongly. 

Still your question is not clear for me.

Kottees :My Blog Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

Monday, October 6, 2014 9:32 PM
  • I know this is confusing.  My email is goodtim2@abc.university.edu (university instead of my college).  Within my domain created by a previous employee everyone sees the above.  If I email my Hotmail account the email is sent as goodtim2@university.edu.  People will reply and end up in the wrong inbox.  What was done (before me) is setup forwarders to goodtim2@abc.university.edu.  Some people would like these email inboxes separate. 

The above mentioned DNS still applies.  I assume there is a configuration that I am missing.  I checked default mail address and it is correctly displaying the abc.university.edu.  So where do I need to look next?

Tim

Monday, October 6, 2014 9:42 PM
  • Also a side note, emails to dpt.university.edu go, but all replies are received as university.edu
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 3:13 AM
  • So I have found this.  On the Edge Transport Server/ SMTP box there is a series of Powershell commands that will do this.  Basically AddressRewriteEntry is the core (Get- and Remove- before).  There was one set they to remove the subdomain.  Not sure why but now I know and so do you.

• Marked as answer by tcgood Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:15 PM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:15 PM