Application architecture RRS feed

• Question

• I have started work onto developing an application that shall be supporting all the business flows within my organization.

The end-user shall have access to the application via asp.net page, which shall showing him/her all their awaited flows (clicking on which he/she shall be shown details of what the user needs to do in order to make the flow move on) or they can instance a new one.

I am looking for a comprehensive example in order to understand the architecture which i need to implement in order to acheive the above mentioned application. In other words, what would be the best way to implement it ?

Saturday, August 5, 2006 7:52 PM

Answers

• I have the feeling that what you need could be workflows integrated in Sharepoint 2007 (or the free Windows Sharepoint Service 3) where the association between users and worlkflows is made through "tasks"; the sharepoint team has extended the workflow paradigm with "Tasks" ("they've applied the "taks assigment pattern"). Each user can see its pending tasks (workflow waiting for events ) and interacts with the worklfow(s).

See this webcast: Developping Sharepoint Workflows with Visual Studio 2005  

Serge

Sunday, August 6, 2006 3:04 PM
  • There are beta newsgroups for all Office 2007 products at http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/community/newsgroups.mspx.  That would be the best place for questions about SharePoint samples.
    Saturday, August 12, 2006 7:31 AM

All replies

• I have the feeling that what you need could be workflows integrated in Sharepoint 2007 (or the free Windows Sharepoint Service 3) where the association between users and worlkflows is made through "tasks"; the sharepoint team has extended the workflow paradigm with "Tasks" ("they've applied the "taks assigment pattern"). Each user can see its pending tasks (workflow waiting for events ) and interacts with the worklfow(s).

See this webcast: Developping Sharepoint Workflows with Visual Studio 2005  

Serge

Sunday, August 6, 2006 3:04 PM
  •  

The "Sharepoint" suggestion is certainly a good idea, if you are considering a Sharepoint environment.

If you would like to try out developing the solution using ASP.Net, here are some excellent resources which you can reference.

Host and trigger workflows via ASP.Net: Cutting Edge - Windows Workflow Foundation, Part 2( Dino Esposito)

Tracking Worfklows in ASP.Net: Yes - I still love Atlas (Jon Flanders' Blog)

Forum Discussion: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=438583&SiteID=1

Hope this helps...

Monday, August 7, 2006 6:59 PM
  • The requirements of our application are as follows:

1. All the departments processes shall be automated inclusive of HR, PR, IT, Finance etc.

2. The main site will host a list of links which will lead to the initiation of a flow and then its particular form shall appear which will have options for the user to choose from and some of the data shall be retrieved from our other systems. A normal form will bear a couple of drop down lists and the possibility of adding an attachment.

I have started looking into Sharepoint as the solution and tested out the sample collectfeedback workflow successfully, but will i be able to do all of the above in a sharepoint environment as i do not want to have any kind of limitations in the future.

And please let me know of a resource where i can have something to read on how to implement the flows, the collectfeedback is really confusing ?

Saturday, August 12, 2006 7:13 AM
  • There are beta newsgroups for all Office 2007 products at http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/community/newsgroups.mspx.  That would be the best place for questions about SharePoint samples.
    Saturday, August 12, 2006 7:31 AM
  • Can i initiate a workflow in Sharepoint without attaching it to an item such as list or document library ?

Else i might have to quit using sharepoint because i just want to have links to my custom made workflows and when the user clicks on them they get initiated with their forms...

Can anybody clarify on this ?

Saturday, August 12, 2006 8:47 PM