The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Virtual Machines!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Connect SSMS to SQL Server on Azure RRS feed

• Question

• I've been through all the articles, and tried so many different variations, nothing gets through, I get the dreaded:

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

• SQL Express 2008 (R2)(SP2)  named instance
    • Allows remote connections
    • Authentication SQL Server and Windows
    • Opened Azure endpoint: public port = 57600, private port 1433
    • Opened firewall on azure virtual server   public 57600,  private 1433
    • Here's where it gets a little fuzzy.  The TCP protocol is enabled.  I only see the private IP address for the server listed.  So I cleared the dynamic port field {blank} and set the TCP Port to 1433 on that IP.
    • Restarted SQL Service.

I've tried so many variations on a theme, and same friggin message.

I've tried connecting with the DNS name\instance name, 57600, and every combination.  Not getting through.

Any Ideas?  Help.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 3:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Sberrigner,

I see that you have not set the port 1433 both on the azure vm and on management portal to access your SQL express database to establish the connection.

Girish Prajwal

Sunday, May 24, 2015 11:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Sberringer,

Thanks for posting here.

Given below is a step by step approach, demonstrating how to CONNECT Azure SQL using SSMS in simple steps.

Step 1 : (Create SQL Server in Azure)
    First of all, you need to create/ setup a Server in Azure SQL Server using pre-requisite article.

Note : If you already have Setup Azure SQL Server, skip this step.

Step 2 : (Configure IP Address)
    Once you have setup the Azure SQL Server in the above step, you just need to select that particular Server then further select Configure to add your local Server IP address from where you want to connect Azure using SSMS. This step is most important step because if you bypass this step and unable to add IP address of your local Server here, Azure will not allow your SSMS to connect Azure SQL Server.

Connect Azure SQL using SSMS.1.1

Connect Azure SQL using SSMS.1.2

Note : If you already configured the IP address of your local SQL Server machine, skip this step.

Step 3 : (Open SSMS)
    Lets open SQL Server Management Studio and try to connect Azure SQL Server. Given below is the info that you must pass at the time of connectivity as shown below and Press Connect Button. Make sure your caps lock key should be turned on/ off accordingly ;).

Server Name : Azure SQL Server Name.database.windows.net (gx8icm0cm.database.windows.net)
    Login : The login name which we created in pre-requisite article step 3.
    Password : The password which we created in pre-requisite article step 3.

Connect Azure SQL using SSMS.1.3

Step 4 : (Azure SQL Server Connected in SSMS)
    Now, you have connected Azure SQL Server using SQL Server Management Studio as shown below.

Connect Azure SQL using SSMS.1.4

Hope this helps you.

Girish Prajwal

Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:14 PM
  • Thank you Girish,

I should have made it more clear, this is not SQL Azure, it's SQL Server Express 2008 installed on an Azure virtual server.  

Steven

Thursday, May 21, 2015 2:36 PM
  • Hi Sberringer,

Thanks for your quick response.

Here is a similar post on stack overflow

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15956465/

Please let us know if you find it helpful

Girish Prajwal

Thursday, May 21, 2015 3:47 PM
  • Thank you very much Girish, that's great information.  I'll start working through it.
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 4:02 PM
  • I can ping the server using tcping and port 80 is fine.  When I try to tcping on my SQL Server public port, setup in the Azure Endpoint panel, it comes back with "No Response"  

Does that mean the firewall is refusing the public port or the problem lies past the firewall with SQL server?   The private port is the same one listed in my firewall and also the port SQL server is listening to (I checked the startup log in SQL)  

This is SQL express (named instance) and I'm wondering if that's the problem.  I have SQL browser running and I opened up port 1434 in the firewall (but not an azure endpoint) .  But if SQL is starting on a static port, that shouldn't matter right?

Ugg.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 7:25 PM
  • Hi Sberrigner,

I see that you have not set the port 1433 both on the azure vm and on management portal to access your SQL express database to establish the connection.

Girish Prajwal

Sunday, May 24, 2015 11:10 AM