none
Move folder to another library using sharepoint designer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Im in need of a solution to move a folder from library A to library B using workflow.

I am able to move documents freely but moving folders seems impossible. Am i missing something or is there a solution with which i can move folders?

I tried using the copy/move list item extended in this solution: http://spdactivities.codeplex.com/

It worked fine moving across libraries but it still does not work with folders.

Im worried the only option is to move using windows explorer which is a issue (if user start moving folder and loses connection it gets canceled mid way and is a problem for us. Thats why i would love a workflow solution since it runs in server instead trough user who might have bad connection). 

Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:40 AM

All replies

• Hi and thanks for the response,

The second link is useless since it only works with files not folders. Powershell script wont help me since end user can not say what document needs to be moved. 

The REST API suggestion in your first link i will investigate and test. But i belive it wont be able to move folders because even if i set the path of the file to new folder it just breaks instead of moving it.

Friday, March 17, 2017 10:20 AM
  • Hi testor2,

There is an option can be like this, instead of “move” a folder, we can create a new folder in the destination library with the same properties in the workflow, then move the files to this folder should work.

About creating folder using workflow:

http://mylittlesharepoint.blogspot.sg/2012/05/create-folders-using-spd-workflow.html

Best regards,

Patrick

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, March 17, 2017 12:13 PM
  • Hi,

thank you for the reply. I am able to create folder with the metadata but how do i go about moving all the documents and subfolders to the newly created folder? Issue is every parent folder has around 10 sub folders and these have subfolders themselves. 

So i quess the only option is to manualy move them all?

Monday, March 20, 2017 7:25 AM
  • Hi Fazzzer,

If the folder structure is complex, other than doing it manually, you can also write some PowerShell to do the job for you.

Best regards,

Patrick

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:06 PM
  • Hi Fazzzer,

Just want to know how would you handle your request now, have you decided to do it with PowerShell or still with the SharePoint Designer workflow?

Best regards,

Patrick

Saturday, March 25, 2017 5:14 AM