Building 32 bit apps on a 64 bit machine RRS feed

• Question

• I hope this is the right forum for this question

First some background on my problem:

About a year and a half ago I inherited a fairly large code base for some game software that was created in VS 6 using DirectX9B. At the time I got the source code, I had a Win98 machine. I installed the DirectX9B TDK and was able to compile the code and make changes without any problems. I didn't go to the effort to port the code to DirectX9C mostly because I was (and am) a newbie in the DirectX arena so I wanted to avoid taking on more than I could easily handle and since everything worked with DirectX9C machines I wasn't worried.

About 6 months ago I upgraded my home machine to an AMD dual core 4600 and Win XP 64. At that time I simply ghosted my old drive and installed XP 64 on top of it to keep all my old data. I merely had to re-installed VS 6 and point it to my code base and it was happy to compile it all (since I already had the 9B toolkit installed). For the past several months I have continued to build the code without any problems changing only a few files here and there (about 20% of the code base maybe).

However this weekend for the first time since I moved to XP 64, I did a full rebuild (accidentally clicked the wrong button. Grrrr). I got some errors as somehow the full rebuild tried to use DirectX9C for the includes. So I remapped the include paths back to the 9B toolkit and completed the build and got the exe.

Now my problem. The exe runs just fine on my PC (XP 64). However, when I gave it for testing to my test group who have plain XP or Win 2000 machines they are having problems. On some the code outright crashes to desktop. On others, they get weird errors that don't cause crashes but are definitely not correct behavior. When I repeat the same steps on my machine, of course the problem doesn't exist. When they go back to the code I build last week before the rebuild but built on my XP64 machine everything is fine.

So it *looks* to me like it's a 64 compilation issue. But I'm no real expert with 64 bit compilations and I have no idea if somehow the DirectX9B issue is involved (tho many of the errors seen have nothing to do with graphics but simply message passing as if the sizes of structures were wrong)

Has anyone experienced anything like this and are there any special settings I need to do in VS 6 to compile for 32 bit binaries on a 64 bit machine?

TIA

Tim

Monday, September 4, 2006 3:49 PM

Answers

• best place for VS6 would be over here at the appropriate VS communities:

www.microsoft.com/communities

fortunately with the aid of technology, you can just copy and paste! :-)

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 3:16 AM

All replies

• Is this a .net related issue??? If not, this *may* not be the correct forum...(chances of you getting a reply are less..)

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 5:36 PM
  • No, it's a VS 6 issue.

I can't find any VS 6 forums. Everything is either .net or VS 2003.  Even the C++ forums seem to be related to VS 2003 or later.

I only posted here because it said it was 64 bit issues. If you know the correct forum I'll be happy to repost there.

Thanks,

Tim

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 1:24 AM
  • best place for VS6 would be over here at the appropriate VS communities:

www.microsoft.com/communities

fortunately with the aid of technology, you can just copy and paste! :-)

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 3:16 AM