Unable to cancel or complete the swap RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, this morning I swapped production and staging slots as I’ve done hundreds of times in the last 4 years. 
    But this time the swap did not complete, it’s blocked in a state where I can only complete or cancel.

First of all I’m quite sure I did not perform a swap with preview, but a complete swap.
    The problem is that now I cannot neither complete nor cancel, because an error is returned.

I tried to cancel the swap both using the portal and the Azure Power Shell, no success.

I tried to completely delete the slot and recreate from scratch, no success.

Now I have 3 different web apps in the same state, I cannot neither complete nor cancel the swaps. It’s a nightmare.

The error is:

Cannot modify this site because another operation is in progress. Details: Id:
    0287c38c-e010-4fb1-b878-d60e47a66d6e, OperationName: SwapSiteSlots, CreatedTime: 11/2/2018 4:35:24 PM, WebSystemName:
    websites, SubscriptionName: 15c7c6a6-0b8d-4bed-8ebf-7728f2ee65eb, WebspaceName: WestEuropewebspace, SiteName:
    andataritorno, SlotName: staging, ServerFarmName: , GeoOperationId: (null)
    In riga:1 car:1
    + Switch-AzureRmWebAppSlot -ResourceGroupName $rg -Name $site -SourceSl ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : CloseError: (:) [Switch-AzureRmWebAppSlot], CloudException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Azure.Commands.WebApps.Cmdlets.DeploymentSlots.SwitchAzureWebAppSlot

• Edited by IgorDRTZ Friday, November 2, 2018 4:51 PM
    Friday, November 2, 2018 4:17 PM

Answers

• IgorDRTZ and Ted-FQA, we have received verification from the product group that the patch should be fully rolled out to all customers. The guidance is to retry the swap without attempting any workarounds at this time.

swillyhem, we are happy to hear you are seeing relief.

We apologize for the frustration that you have encountered. Please let us know if you have any further issues.

Friday, November 2, 2018 10:23 PM
    Owner

All replies

• After 4 hours of headache I received an automatic emal from Microsoft:

Impact Statement: Starting at 01:41 UTC on 02 Nov 2018 you have been identified as a customer using App Service who may receive failure notifications or errors when performing slot swap operations. You may see 'Cannot modify this site because another operation is in progress' errors when performing these operations. <o:p></o:p>

Workaround Fix: You can create any dummy app setting on any slot of the unhealthy site and mark it as a "Slot Setting". <o:p></o:p>

Incident Status: Engineers have identified the underlying root cause and are developing and deploying a long-term fix to potentially mitigate the issue. <o:p></o:p>

Friday, November 2, 2018 5:00 PM
  • Hello IgorDRTZ, we apologize for the frustration that you have encountered. Please note that this is a known issue. The product group has located the issue and they are currently working on deploying a fix. This issue should be resolved within a few hours.

All affected subscriptions can self mitigate the issue by creating a dummy appsetting on any slot of the affected site and marking this app setting as “Slot Setting”.

Please let us know if you have further questions or concerns.

Friday, November 2, 2018 5:28 PM
    Owner
  • I am having the same issue, but am unable to mitigate the issue by creating a dummy appsetting.

Here's the error:Failed to update web app settings: ["{\"Code\":\"Conflict\",\"Message\":\"The slot cannot be changed because its configuration settings have been prepared for swap.\",\"Target\":null,\"Details\":[{\"Message\":\"The slot cannot be changed because its configuration settings have been prepared for swap.\"},{\"Code\":\"Conflict\"},{\"ErrorEntity\":{\"ExtendedCode\":\"04081\",\"MessageTemplate\":\"The slot cannot be changed because its configuration settings have been prepared for swap.\",\"Parameters\":[],\"Code\":\"Conflict\",\"Message\":\"The slot cannot be changed because its configuration settings have been prepared for swap.\"}}],\"Innererror\":null}","{\"Code\":\"Conflict\",\"Message\":\"Cannot update slot config names because the slot(s) 'Production,staging' have been already prepared for swap.\",\"Target\":null,\"Details\":[{\"Message\":\"Cannot update slot config names because the slot(s) 'Production,staging' have been already prepared for swap.\"},{\"Code\":\"Conflict\"},{\"ErrorEntity\":{\"ExtendedCode\":\"04082\",\"MessageTemplate\":\"Cannot update slot config names because the slot(s) '{0}' have been already prepared for swap.\",\"Parameters\":[\"Production,staging\"],\"Code\":\"Conflict\",\"Message\":\"Cannot update slot config names because the slot(s) 'Production,staging' have been already prepared for swap.\"}}],\"Innererror\":null}"]

Friday, November 2, 2018 7:58 PM
  • Ted-FQA, it seems some customers are able to use the workaround while others are not. We are investigating the workaround and more importantly, a fix. We will update you once we have more news to share.
    Friday, November 2, 2018 9:53 PM
    Owner
  • Fix seems to be rolling out now - our slot swap just completed successfully.

And like the reckless person I am at 6pm on a Friday I'm now releasing other sites :)

It's OK - they're test & staging environments :)

Friday, November 2, 2018 10:07 PM
  • IgorDRTZ and Ted-FQA, we have received verification from the product group that the patch should be fully rolled out to all customers. The guidance is to retry the swap without attempting any workarounds at this time.

swillyhem, we are happy to hear you are seeing relief.

We apologize for the frustration that you have encountered. Please let us know if you have any further issues.

Friday, November 2, 2018 10:23 PM
    Owner