none
The category name cannot be displayed in propertyGrid control using .NET 4.6 under Win2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

1) C# project target framework: .NET Framework 4.0

create a class as the SelectedObject for System.Windows.Forms.PropertyGrid control, the category name always shows empty, the items under this category shows correct.

2) If change above C# project target framework to .NET Framework 2.0

The category name can show now.

How can resolve this issue if select .NET Framework 4.0?  Are there anything needed be installed under Windows 2008 R2?

Thanks

Scott

• Edited by ScottQ Thursday, May 3, 2018 12:20 AM
    Thursday, April 19, 2018 4:50 AM

Answers

• Hi Wendy,

Thanks for your work.

This morning, I downloaded the source codes you provided. Please see below my steps:

1) built two applications with Target framework .NET 2.0 and Target framework .NET 4.0.

2) Copy above two applications into the test environment (Windows 2008 R2), the current .NET version is 4.5.2.

3) The two applications work fine. The category names can be displayed. 

4) Unintall .NET 4.5.2 and then Install .NET 4.6 under this Windows 2008 R2.

5) The application which was generated with Target framework .NET 2.0 works fine. The category names can be displayed. 

Another application which was generated with .NET 4.0 does not work. The category names can not be displayed.  

I also had test the cases for twice: uninstall 4.7 and then install 4.6. 

By the way, I think Microsoft maybe had resolved this issue. The resolution is doing Windows Update. If do Windows Update, the 4.6 will be upgraded to 4.7.

The workaround for our product is that to do Windows Update as requirement. If you are available, you can try to do further research to check if my summary is correct. Maybe there are some customers who cannot do Windows Update, or only want to use .NET 4.6.

Thanks again for your attention!

Scott

• Marked as answer by ScottQ Thursday, May 3, 2018 12:18 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ScottQ Thursday, May 3, 2018 12:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by ScottQ Friday, May 4, 2018 5:36 AM
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 12:16 AM

All replies

• I found out another clue:

Under Windows 2008 R2,

The category name can be displayed when select .Net 2.0 or .Net 4.0 when create the c# application.

But after install .Net Framework 4.6 under Windows 2008 R2 machine:

-  If the c# project's target framework is 4.0 or 4.6, the category name in property grid control can not be displayed.

-  If the c# project's target framework is 2.0, the category name still can be displayed. 

• Edited by ScottQ Friday, April 27, 2018 1:52 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2018 4:51 AM
  • Hi ScottQ,

Thank you for posting here.

I configure the Windows Server 2008 R2 with Visual Studio 2017. I create a winform application with propertyGrid control. I do not find the catalog name with .net framework 2.0 and .net framework 4.0.

Please provide more details about this. I will test on the same environment.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 23, 2018 7:29 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

Thanks for your help. Please don't install VS 2017 under Windows 2008 R2.  Just build an application, and then copy it into Windows 2008 R2 (.Net 4.6 has been installed this OS).

The Issue: 

If the c# project's target framework is 4.0 or 4.6, the category name in property grid control can not be displayed. The category name is empty.

Today, I find a new clue:

If uninstall .net 4.6, and install .net 4.7, this issue disappears.  The category name in property grid control can be displayed.

Now I try to uninstall .net 4.7 and install .net 4.6 again, the category name can not be displayed again. Next step I do Windows Update under .NET 4.6 environment.

Scott

• Edited by ScottQ Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:42 AM
    Thursday, April 26, 2018 12:35 AM
  • After Windows update, I found that there is no .Net 4.6 in the Windows 2008 R2 machine, the .Net 4.7 has been installed. So category name can be displayed now.

So I don't know how to get this summary. 

Is the resolution is

to install .Net4.7,

or

to do Windows update for Windows 2008 OS if there is only with .net 4.6?

Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:37 AM
  • Hi ScottQ,

I will test the category name in Windows server 2008 R2 with different version of .net framework. I need some time to uninstall and reinstall .net framework. I will feedback as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:44 AM
  • Hi ScottQ,

I download the source code from code project about propertyGrid control category name.

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/2138/Globalized-property-grid

I test on Windows Server 2008 R2 with .net framework 4.7 installed first. It could shoe the name.

After that, I uninstall .net framework 4.7 and test the code with .net framework 4.6. It is the same. There is nothing wrong. 

Please try the example or you could provide your code for me to test.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support

Monday, April 30, 2018 6:42 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

Thanks for your work.

This morning, I downloaded the source codes you provided. Please see below my steps:

1) built two applications with Target framework .NET 2.0 and Target framework .NET 4.0.

2) Copy above two applications into the test environment (Windows 2008 R2), the current .NET version is 4.5.2.

3) The two applications work fine. The category names can be displayed. 

4) Unintall .NET 4.5.2 and then Install .NET 4.6 under this Windows 2008 R2.

5) The application which was generated with Target framework .NET 2.0 works fine. The category names can be displayed. 

Another application which was generated with .NET 4.0 does not work. The category names can not be displayed.  

I also had test the cases for twice: uninstall 4.7 and then install 4.6. 

By the way, I think Microsoft maybe had resolved this issue. The resolution is doing Windows Update. If do Windows Update, the 4.6 will be upgraded to 4.7.

The workaround for our product is that to do Windows Update as requirement. If you are available, you can try to do further research to check if my summary is correct. Maybe there are some customers who cannot do Windows Update, or only want to use .NET 4.6.

Thanks again for your attention!

Scott

• Marked as answer by ScottQ Thursday, May 3, 2018 12:18 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ScottQ Thursday, May 3, 2018 12:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by ScottQ Friday, May 4, 2018 5:36 AM
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 12:16 AM