none
How to remove unwanted part (floor) in a scanned 3D mesh? RRS feed

• Question

• My goal is to scan a object's 3D model like in KinectFusionExplorer sample (particularly a person). The problem is that the floor is also included in the scanned model, which is thing I want to remove.

I'm thinking of simple method to achieve this goal as below:

- During the scanning process, I could get FloorClipPlane parameters A, B, C and D from SkeletonFrame

- When creating Mesh, points which satisfy A * p.x + B * p.y + C * p.z + D <= 0 are removed

And because it is so simple, it does not work as I expected. So my question is: is there a way to remove floor from scanned model in both cases:

- The object is a person

- The object is a general one

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:10 AM

All replies

• Why not remove the floor pixels in the depth frame before sending the data to Kinect Fusion? Voxel information is generated base on the depth pixels present in the DepthFrame. If the floor pixels are not in the depth frame data, they will not be calculated into the final model.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 7:07 PM
  • Why not remove the floor pixels in the depth frame before sending the data to Kinect Fusion? Voxel information is generated base on the depth pixels present in the DepthFrame. If the floor pixels are not in the depth frame data, they will not be calculated into the final model.

The problem is I don't know the floor plane parameters until finish scanning the object. I always get A = B = C = D = 0, though I started scanning from the middle of the object, which I think the zero point (0, 0, 0)  lies in that plane. And it is different with the floor plane.
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 1:19 AM