none
Send notification email when new email arrives. RRS feed

• Question

• I posted a similar question on Stackoverflow but figured I try my luck directly here inside the Exchange forum.

Our company does not have an on-premise Exchange server instead, we use Office 365 and we’ve purchased a few thousand licenses. Out of those thousands licenses, we have about 2000 users that never look into their corporate email account.

These 2000 users spend most of their time inside their own personal email accounts such as yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc…

We need a way to notify them each time a new corporate email was sent to their corporate email account. In other words, they would receive an email in their yahoo, gmail, hotmail accounts saying: Pleas log into your corporate email account, you have a new message.

Unfortunately, our company policy does not allow us to forward, cc or bcc that corporate email directly into their personal accounts. Instead, we must create a brand NEW message that will be sent to their personal email account.

For the record, we actually hold the personal email address of each of those 2000 users inside one dedicated fields of the Office 365 user.

Is there a way to programmatically do something? I’ve tried looking into custom Transport Agents but they do not seem to be supported in Office 365.

Mail flow rules looks limited in the sense that the rules allow us to manipulate the original message but not create new ones. Plus, I would need the ability to fetch the personal email address via an expression of some sort…

I’ve also looked into Microsoft Flow but Flows seem to occur by account. I can’t seem to create a Flow and apply that Flow onto 2000 users.

Does anyone have a better/different suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Vince

Monday, September 18, 2017 7:54 PM

All replies

• My first suggestion would be everybody has a smart phone these days so just get them to use ActiveSync on their Android or Iphone to read/respond to the corporate email. Its going to give you the most reliable and least resource intensive solution. The other thing you can do is a text message notification to a phone https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Text-messaging-notifications-in-Outlook-Web-App-4154bd15-4f2b-4854-8297-1ae55649f158 using an Inbox rule.

You can always create your own notification application eg using the new REST notification API would be the best approach https://channel9.msdn.com/blogs/OfficeDevPnP/Introduction-to-Outlook-Notifications-REST-API . But these types of applications are complex and have to be hosted and maintained on a ongoing basis.

Cheers
    Glen

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 4:59 AM
  • I think simplest solution would be to create a script, PowerShell + EWS API, to check the inbox of a set of users, using an user credentials which have impersonation  or delegation rights.

Laeeq Qazi|Team Lead(Exchange + Sharepoint + BES + DynamicsCRM) www.HostingController.com

Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:12 AM