Does not seem to play with Opera RRS feed

• Question

• As the title says it, after installing and coming to these forums with Opera as my browser. The web page keeps on prompting me to install it again even though it is already loaded on my system

So the install into Opera is either broken or it does not work with Opera.

So it will end up deleted as I HAVE to use Opera as Opera scales web pages better than either IE or Firefox.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 9:57 PM

Answers

• Silverlight does not currently support Opera. The supported browsers are Internet Explorer 6/7, Safari on the Mac and Firefox on Windows and Mac. The Moonlight project plans to support Firefox, Opera (and at least one other browser as I recall) on Linux.

Pete

Sunday, January 13, 2008 1:32 AM
  • I only recall a Firefox plugin for Linux...I doubt Opera (as a non-free browser), but probably Konquerer or something else.

Microsoft has stated that they want to support Opera but its a future release, not currently (and I doubt in Beta of 2.0 but they've surprised me before).

Sunday, January 13, 2008 2:21 PM

All replies

• Silverlight does not currently support Opera. The supported browsers are Internet Explorer 6/7, Safari on the Mac and Firefox on Windows and Mac. The Moonlight project plans to support Firefox, Opera (and at least one other browser as I recall) on Linux.

Pete

Sunday, January 13, 2008 1:32 AM
  • I only recall a Firefox plugin for Linux...I doubt Opera (as a non-free browser), but probably Konquerer or something else.

Microsoft has stated that they want to support Opera but its a future release, not currently (and I doubt in Beta of 2.0 but they've surprised me before).

Sunday, January 13, 2008 2:21 PM
  • Opera (as a non-free browser)

Wooooo hold on there a sec. Non-Free? Opera has been free for quite a while now. It's closed source but its 100% free. And considering its a superior browser to Firefox means theres absolutely no reason to not support it now or in the future.

When the hell are they going to support it?

Monday, January 28, 2008 4:10 AM
  • Wooooo hold on there a sec. Non-Free? Opera has been free for quite a while now. It's closed source but its 100% free. And considering its a superior browser to Firefox means theres absolutely no reason to not support it now or in the future.

When the hell are they going to support it?

I don't speak for Microsoft, but Opera has about the same market share as IE5 (1-2% depending on which broad-reach survey you cite. Here is the w3schools list) which is also unsupported. While I think it would be great for Microsoft to support all the browsers and all the operating systems, I don't thinking putting extra effort into supporting Opera makes a ton of sense right now - not when there are so many other higher-priority features folks are requesting. Supporting just one more browser on even one operating system is a ton of work for the development and support teams.

As to Shawn's comment, I think he used "free" in the gnu sense, not the $ sense. Opera is a proprietary browser and so doesn't get the same level of distro support on Linux that Firefox does.

Pete

Monday, January 28, 2008 9:14 AM