Releasing for ARM when game needs D3D feature level 9.3

Question

• Hi, 

I want to release my Windows Store game for ARM devices, however, the core mechanic of the game is made with shaders and must have feature level 9.3 or higher. How can I release for ARM but still require this feature level? Thanks!

Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:14 PM

Answers

• You are required to support Feature Level 9.1 to ship an ARM application on Windows Store (the Surface RT and Surface 2 devices are both Feature Level 9.1).

3.12.2 Direct3D apps must support a minimum feature level

This requirement applies if you depend on specific 3D graphics hardware features.

If your app includes an ARM or a Neutral package it must support Direct3D feature level 9_1.  If your app does not support ARM it must support the minimum feature level chosen on the Store portal.

Because customers can change the graphics hardware in their computers after the app is installed, if you choose a minimum feature level higher than 9_1, your app must detect at launch whether or not the current hardware meets the minimum requirements. If not, the app must display a message to the customer detailing the Direct3D requirements.

In addition to supporting the chosen minimum Direct3D feature level, your app may use higher feature levels when available.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694083.aspx

Note that on Windows phone 8, the Feature Level there is 9.3.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:11 PM

All replies

• You are required to support Feature Level 9.1 to ship an ARM application on Windows Store (the Surface RT and Surface 2 devices are both Feature Level 9.1).

3.12.2 Direct3D apps must support a minimum feature level

This requirement applies if you depend on specific 3D graphics hardware features.

If your app includes an ARM or a Neutral package it must support Direct3D feature level 9_1.  If your app does not support ARM it must support the minimum feature level chosen on the Store portal.

Because customers can change the graphics hardware in their computers after the app is installed, if you choose a minimum feature level higher than 9_1, your app must detect at launch whether or not the current hardware meets the minimum requirements. If not, the app must display a message to the customer detailing the Direct3D requirements.

In addition to supporting the chosen minimum Direct3D feature level, your app may use higher feature levels when available.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694083.aspx

Note that on Windows phone 8, the Feature Level there is 9.3.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:11 PM
  • Bummer man! I guess no ARM release then.
    Friday, August 1, 2014 12:55 AM
  • You can typically simplify the content to get it to work with Feature Level 9.1 with more minimal shaders, assuming you have shaders that won't build with "vs_4_0_level_9_1"/"ps_4_0_level_9_1".

Friday, August 1, 2014 2:59 AM