none
Crashing with Transcend PDU3 RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever there is more than 2 people or just 2 with lots of movement, the kinect resets.

We've tested this both on Kinect Studio and an application we're buildin

The hardware specs are:

Processor - Intel® Core™ i3-4130 with Intel HD Graphics 4400 (3.4 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)
    Memory - 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)
    Motherboard - Hewllet-Packard 18E7
    HD - 500 GB 7200 rpm SATA
    Graphics - Inte®l HD 4600 Graphics

After facing this issue we've bought a Transcend PDU3 and connected to a PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0) plugging it  to the power supply.

The Controller used is "Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)

Is there anyway you could help us?

We've started a big project and all the hardware was bought specifically for it, it's quite bad that after meeting all the requirements we find such issues.

Also, We've tried this with two different kinects already.

Thank you in advance.

Monday, September 8, 2014 5:13 PM

Answers

• these are the system requireents: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn791991.aspx

An i3 is not the same class processor as an i5. The core count and turbo boost abilities have much to do about it.

If you are exhibiting the same issue on 2 separate machines with the same card, I would assume the issue is with the card. Have you tried a different card?

Can you try a system like a Surface Pro 3 i5 edition? We have tested the i3 editions and those worked too, but not that well. These will have build in USB3 and GPU that are supported and known to work just fine. This will confirm the device is functioning properly.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Friday, September 12, 2014 12:06 AM

All replies

• Had similar issues - kinect was randomly restarting. They advised to update SDK to latest.

What version of SDK you are running? What kind of application?

Monday, September 8, 2014 7:14 PM
  • Have exact same issue.. its quite heart-breaking..

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0bb3bd6c-4c04-4569-93f9-89b225277176/kinect-randomly-freezes-up-even-more-with-aug-sdk?forum=kinectv2sdk

If you find any solution, please update on this thread also..

Regards

-Adorn

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 3:43 AM
  • Will definitely do that if we find a solution.

For anyone that comes here just go to:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0bb3bd6c-4c04-4569-93f9-89b225277176/kinect-randomly-freezes-up-even-more-with-aug-sdk?forum=kinectv2sdk

where a good description of the issue is given.

Regards

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 1:43 PM
  • Can try to run one of the D2D samples in parallel? The issue may have to do with CPU throttling as noted in other threads.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 8:33 PM
  • Hi Carmine, 

Just tested that with no luck.
    Also changed power settings to High performance with minimum processor state at 100%.

Cheers, Sal

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 9:50 AM
  • You may want to test on another machine. While we have seen the i3 cpu work on the Surface Pro 3, it isn't a supported CPU. Depending on how the motherboard is designed, the bus the PCIx card is connected to may not be connected using a Gen 2.0 bus that is 5.0GB/s capable.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 5:03 PM
  • The PCI card as I described, is connected to the PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0) slot.

On the SDK download page, it says that the CPU must be:
    - Dual-core 3.1-GHz or faster processor

How come an i3 3.4Ghz is not supported?

We've also tested this on a PC with a i5 3.4Ghz CPU with a lot better specs than the one at the office, and we've got the exact same issues.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:51 PM
  • these are the system requireents: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn791991.aspx

An i3 is not the same class processor as an i5. The core count and turbo boost abilities have much to do about it.

If you are exhibiting the same issue on 2 separate machines with the same card, I would assume the issue is with the card. Have you tried a different card?

Can you try a system like a Surface Pro 3 i5 edition? We have tested the i3 editions and those worked too, but not that well. These will have build in USB3 and GPU that are supported and known to work just fine. This will confirm the device is functioning properly.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Friday, September 12, 2014 12:06 AM