none
Intel Joule ..no TPM? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it true the Intel Joule platform does not include an internal or external TPM module?

My understanding Trusted Platform Module (TPM) was "required" do build a secure IoT platform.

Dave

Thursday, July 6, 2017 12:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Is it true the Intel Joule platform does not include an internal or external TPM module?

based on Discover the Intel® Joule™ Compute Module it seems it does not have a TPM module but that's a great question for Intel Support

basically Windows 10 IoT Core does not require a TPM (the Raspberry PI's does not have one too)

My understanding Trusted Platform Module (TPM) was "required" do build a secure IoT platform.

a TPM module is one helpful resource/tool to increase the security level from an IoT Device

Building Secure Devices with Windows 10 IoT Core provides a good starting point about that topic

Thursday, July 6, 2017 2:06 PM
  • It doesn't, but you can add one.

I've designed a PCB for Raspberry Pi that has a TPM module on it.  From there it's just a configuration setting in Windows 10 IoT Core to enable its use.  You could do the same for the Joule; it just uses SPI, and every board supported by Win10 IoT Core supports SPI.

The MinnowBoard Max (much cheaper than the Joule) has a firmware TPM built in.  That may be an option for you.

Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:18 PM