none
Fox Pro Enterprise Programs RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, all.

I have the privilege of running a business that sells agricultural repair parts.

All of our enterprise programs (invoicing, accounting, reporting, etc.) have been written in various versions of Fox Pro, starting with Foxpro 2.6 to Visual Foxpro9. The man that created these programs unfortunately passed away and I am now looking for someone to provide support for our programs. 

Some of them are quite old and most of them have not been truly modified in the past decade.

I am not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination but I do know how to follow instructions.

Should anyone be interested, or have someone they recommend to give support, please reply.

Thank you.

Monday, April 1, 2019 12:20 PM

All replies

• Ramar,

I've supported many a business (although not agricultural repair parts). But I can offer general help by asking some questions you could answer if you really want help ("support").

Do you need rewrite and/or modifications to programs or maybe just to fix corrupted data?

On-site? (where?)

Off-site?

I'm sure others can think of many more questions. Sometimes you need to help the support people by being more specific so they can help you better.

HTH (but I  don't think so).

Steve
    Monday, April 1, 2019 2:07 PM
  • Hi men,

if you need any help let me know.

Best Regards!!

Monday, April 1, 2019 3:35 PM
  • Assuming off-site is okay, I'd be interested in talking to you. I've supported (including fixing bugs and modifying) quite a few existing applications.

You can check my website (http://tomorrowssolutionsllc.com/) for my credentials.

Tamar

Monday, April 1, 2019 8:19 PM
  • Hi, Steve.

My most pressing concern has been bringing our computer systems in to compliance with new sales tax laws.

For years we operated at 7% sales tax but now are forced to operate at 8%

This might seem easy enough on the surface but my issue has been compiling my built project in to an executable file that can be accessed at my sales counter computers. This POS program has always been compiled in FoxPro 2.6 (or FoxPro DOS as we've called it). 

Every time we try to compile the executable we come up with various errors, I think the program is looking for things that are no longer there.

I believe my main issue is that this program originated in 1992 and was supported by its creator until he passed in 2014, he knew the ins and outs of it and how to get it to do what was needed but there seem to be many things that the program is looking for that no longer exist.

On site help would be best. We do not have a stable internet connection. Our connection is completely cellular and goes in and out. We are located outside of the small town of Sasser, GA.

If you are interested in seeing if you can help please contact me directly. I had email notifications for this post turned on so that I thought I would get an alert if someone replied, but I did not.

My email address is david@raymarsupply.com

Alternatively you can contact me by telephone at my business, 229-698-6930 from 8-5 EDT

Thank you

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 4:09 PM
  • Raymar,

Since you addressed me, I'll answer you in this forum.

First, I'm retired in Virginia so it would be impractical for me at this time in Georgia.

My guess is it would be better and easier to rewrite the app in VFP9 or even in another language since Microsoft no longer officially supports ANY version of Foxpro.

Don't know your situation regarding sales tax, but I had a huge battle (which I won) here in Va. several years ago. The state tried to assess sales tax on myself AND my client for the same items. I purchased (from CA) & set up computers for them in addition to writing their programs. I paid no sales tax. I charged them only for my work and the cost of computers with no markup. In the end, I was considered a "pass-through" and my client agreed to pay the sales tax after being audited.

Steve

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 12:23 PM
  • Are you sure that the tax rate is hard-coded into the application rather than a setting somewhere, perhaps in a configuration file?
    Wednesday, May 1, 2019 7:57 PM
  • I'm also not in Georgia. White Light Computing, which is run by Rick Schummer, has a developer in the Atlanta area, so you might right out to Rick: raschummer@whitelightcomputing.com

If this isn't a fit for them, they'll probably know who else is in Georgia who's still doing VFP.

Tamar

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 8:19 PM
  • Hello, KevClark64.

I am pretty sure that it is hard-coded as you call it.

We have two programs, one an executable that runs our POS operations on our sales counter computers, the other is run through VFP9 and handles most of our databases for accounting and transaction recording. I have been able to edit the sales tax procedure in both programs (VFP9, FPD2.6) and make them calculate 8%. 

My problem is in recompiling or creating the executable file out of the project that I have built. It keeps coming up and saying either it cannot find this dll or the other, or that an frx report isn't valid. Every time I fix one problem I come up with another.

Our systems are completely excluded from internet access, after all we don't have a stable way to access the internet. Verizon is good in my area but not that good. So, remote support is limited to over the telephone help.

I have been very fortunate to have a gentleman give me over the phone support, guiding me through how to write the code, where to write it, how to build projects, and the like. However, he is in his late 80's and is not sure how much more he can help as he lives over one hundred miles away. He is the one who suggested I reach out to this forum for help.

A new problem, in the same vein, that came up just the other day is the need to be able to vary the tax rate charged depending on the sales tax of the jurisdiction where the parts are delivered. Since the program figures a fixed tax rate for all taxable sales it is going to need to be reconfigured to calculate varying sales tax rates.

Thank you for your interest.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 12:48 PM
  • Thank you for your reply, Tamar.

I will reach out to White Light Computing and see if they are able to help.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 2:18 PM
  • Ramar,

I haven't tried this, but as a desparate longshot, perhaps you could edit the exe file in a hex editor (or maybe even in Notepad or Notepad++?). Some of the code may be readable. If so, look for a "6" (current tax rate?) and change it to an "8" if it looks like it's the tax rate. Save the change without changing the file length (which might be tricky). Of course make a backup FIRST. Who knows, it might work.

Steve

Thursday, May 2, 2019 2:57 PM