Windows 8 Developer Preview - Shutdown / Restart needs to many clicks

General discussion

• Hi,

just want to offer a first opinion / feedback on Windows 8 Developer Preview.

I think it needs to many clicks / touches to get the system shut down or restartet. You have to open the main menu bar, select settings (which is not very comprehensible) and then click on "Power" to shut down or restart. This is not very usable. The "Power" icon should show up in that main menu bar together with settings and Start button, that would make it much easier.

Is there any official way to provide feedback?

Thank you,

David.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:22 PM

All replies

• There are some other things I don't really like in Windows 8 Developer Preview:

- First, in the Metro style, when you install a new application, a square icon will pop up at the right side. And if I install the Klite Codec 7.7, Windows 8 will show a whole bunch of icons like that...Even though they have the unpin button, but to unpin 20~30 icons...that's exhausted!!!

- Second, I can't install an anti-virus software in the Eight. I tried with KIS2010 and Microsoft Security Essential.

- In the video introducing Windows 8, I saw that they can zoom in and out in Metro style (they did it with the Samsung tablet). I am using an Sony Vaio laptop which doesn't support multi-touch. Wondering how to do that action with mouse since for some people, the default size of icons in the Metro style is too large.

And the same question like TMKILLA,

Is there any official way to provide feedback?

Thank you,

Katsu

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:00 PM
  • You are lucky.

For me, my Asus A8JS wouldn't restart.

He's bricked, I have just The Bios LOGO that all ! :-(

I don't know, if i can reinstall Windows 7 now.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:08 PM
  • Windows 8 has a more advanced version of Defender already running.  Having a second security software suite will just ruin the performance and therefore it is constrained.
    Dave
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:30 AM
  • I agree with TMKILLA, way too many clicks and difficult to find initially.  Also, my netbook actually does not shut down after shutting down.  It powers almost completely down, but the power button stays on (and the wireless).  I have to then do a hard shut down.

Of course remember.... this is pre beta software.  I am sure these things will be fixed over the next year.

Dave
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:32 AM
  • okay
    Windows 8 have his own antivirus
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:04 PM
  • I agree with TMKILLA, way too many clicks and difficult to find initially.  Also, my netbook actually does not shut down after shutting down.  It powers almost completely down, but the power button stays on (and the wireless).  I have to then do a hard shut down.

Of course remember.... this is pre beta software.  I am sure these things will be fixed over the next year.

Dave

Remember, you can completly turn off Windows by command prompt using: shutdown /s /full
    And, I agree, to many clicks to shutdown.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:07 PM
  • I installed KLite also and noticed the icons. Considering all my apps default there, I have to assume that area functions as a start menu. Our question now would be...If we unpin, how or where do we find these start items when there is a need to use them??
    Friday, September 16, 2011 8:02 AM
  • Agree, it's not very intuitive. But with Ctrl+Alt+Del you're just a click away from shut down/restart.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:34 AM
  • From the desktop app you can also use the Alt + F4 keyboard shortcut to get your shut down options
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:02 AM
  • From the desktop app you can also use the Alt + F4 keyboard shortcut to get your shut down options
    If you "google it" there a registry trick to enable easier shutdown or even an app for that (i think gizmodo or lifehacker have these links).
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:31 AM
  • From either the desktop or start page just press Win+I - then hit shutdown. Quicker is just to press the hardware power button, that is what it is there for.

Restart is a scenario that normal people shouldn't experience often, really only when software/drivers install and that should prompt as part of the install.

Robert MacLean - www.sadev.co.za
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:34 AM
  •  If you are using Windows 8 dev preview and want to submit the feedback you can install the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program. If you’re a MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can use to join using a Windows Live ID account.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:04 AM
  • You are lucky.

Try this:

Control Panel> go to Device Manager: In this window go to "IEEE 1394 Bus host Controller", explain and make a click in "VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller"

Do it again click, open new window and go to "Power Management" here make tick  in the  first square "ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO TURN OFF THIS DEVICE TO SAVE POWER.
    *Sorry my english
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:48 AM
  • You are lucky.

I had this issue with my A8Js at home as well. Here are the steps I used, feel free to follow them at your own risk:

I removed the A8Js HD from my laptop and plugged it into my PC (while powered off). After starting up my PC, under the Computer Management Program, I used the Disk Management tool to delete all the partitions on the A8Js HD. I then shut down and removed the disk, and reinserted it into my laptop.

After running the win8 install again, it worked for me :). My A8Js is currently running win8 on mostly generic drivers.

Alternatively, you could use this technique (of deleting the partitions on a separate computer) to reinstall Win7, if you would like.

• Edited by JamesG8 Monday, September 19, 2011 5:16 AM adding quote for context
    Monday, September 19, 2011 5:11 AM
  • Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:20 PM
  • When Windows 7 came out and ShutDown was 1 click away after the Start button, people complained it was too easy to accidentally shut down Windows and demanded a confirmation dialog as was provided by earlier versions.

Now they've made it less direct to shut down the system and some complain that it's too difficult.

This just proves yet again that you can't please all the people all the time.  :)

-Noel

Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:37 PM
  • I had originally had the same problem.  Just get an iso of windows 8 put it on a thumb drive and complete power off reboot.  Use what ever key combination to get into your computers bios settings and boot fromt he thumb drive and it will go into the windows 8 boot screen where you can choose fix automatically.  Sometimes it says it can't be fixed but just start anyhow and it has worked for me so far.  I had to do it twice.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:27 PM
  • I think the issue here is MS designed the UI for tablet that will never or seldom need to be shut down and will have a physical power switch much like phones do.  However, I do aggree that the Power off is in illogical place.  I was thinking it should be in the user tile next to log off selection.  I have seen some mock ups people have made that put the power off selection right on the metro desktop.  It looked nice enough but I would worry about accidental power offs.  If you think about it the current implementation only takes one more click than the old one for something that isn't used that often, thats not too bad. 
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:33 PM
  • My shutdown gets delayed sometimes but if I disconnect my Ethernet cable it shuts down right away.
    • Edited by Infinity7_00 Sunday, September 25, 2011 10:14 PM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 10:14 PM
  • Alt + CTRL+ DEL Click the Power Icon then the Shutdown label is far from too many.  I also noted that on my HP 8 shuts down if I press the power button during a session, that is one button ant its off.  They got that one right for sure. :-)
    Jerry Babiome
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 10:49 PM
  • it is not constrained i have bit defender 2012 running on win8, dont like the sound of microsoft running my firewall and security. and as for the shutdown restart issue put a shortcut on desktop and copy it to the windows startup folder, then there will be a shutdown logoff restart button on metro. 
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 12:23 PM
  • dont like the sound of microsoft running my firewall and security.

I'm curious - why?

Good security software seems to need a good understanding of system internals, a well-funded maintenance operation, and a great automatic update process.  It seems Microsoft has all those things pretty well covered.  I'm sure keeping malware out is quite high on Microsoft's list of priorities.

Granted, mainstream security software would be the most highly targeted by attackers.  A security suite that's unexpected by malware might catch things that know how to duck behind trees in the Microsoft forest.

Do you disable the Microsoft security software in order to run the Bit Defender software?

-Noel

Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:19 AM