Error occurred during a cryptographic operation RRS feed

• Question

• User-713055000 posted

Been getting a large number of these recently relating to WebResource.axd and ScriptResource.axd.

They seem to be generated by a googlebot visiting a page. For some reason the resources are not decrypting. 

Exception information: Exception type: System.Web.HttpException Exception message: This is an invalid script resource request. Inner exception information (level 1): Exception type: System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException Exception message: Error occurred during a cryptographic operation.

In my web.config I have the machinekey section set for use within a webfarm by using fixed values as here.

The validation key us a 64 character string. the decryption key is 64 character string.

<machineKey compatibilityMode="Framework45" validationKey="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" decryptionKey="5xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" validation="HMACSHA256"
    decryption="Auto" />

My guess is either A) the google cached resources are out of date, B) the url is being changed or shortened, C) something in .net or IS not working on the server.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 12:53 PM

All replies