Visual Studio 2012 Update 4 will not install and now Visual Studio will not work. RRS feed

• Question

• User-1842880510 posted

When starting to install Visual Studio 2012 Update 4 I first get this warning

Installation errors may occur because the security certificate updates
    that are required to install some Visual Studio components cannot be applied to this computer.
    This can occur when you are not connected to the Internet or when a group policy setting on your computer prevents Visual Studio from
    automatically applying the security certificate updates.
    If you choose to continue,
    some Visual Studio features may not work as expected. For more information,
    see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=317796.

Then when installing I get to the section for acquiring Windows App Certification Kit x64 Patch.  At this point the installation process stops and asks me if I want to get the it from the directory with the installation file or from the internet.   I choose the installation directory.  It spins for a time then ask me the same question again. When the first attempt fails I say get it from the internet. However that fails as well.  Then the cancellation of setup leaves 1/2 of the installation completed and the other half not even attempted.

I uninstalled the VS 2012 Update 4 installation.  Then I got the iso for the stand alone installation.  However when I tried to burn it to a dvd, I go the error, file format incompatible.  When we have seen that error here before, it meant the the attempt to download the file to the navy's machines had corrupted the file.  It was necessary to download the file from outside of the Navy network, (which as a contractor I don't have the rights to do.)

So I tried to continue working with the older version of VS 2012.  Now it reports every solution as "incompatible".  So I can't do any work.

I am attempting to install VS 2012 Update 3 in hopes of getting the IDE to once again recognize my projects.  However I now get the warning

Microsoft Root Certificate Authority 2010 or 2011 is missing 
    and can cause installation failures for some signed packages. For more info, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931125.

This will end up leading to the same error that started this.  So I went to the link that they listed and instead I get a Microsoft Support empty search results page.

I tried the install anyway and sure enough this led to the same error that started this.

However after carrying out the partial update of my Visual Studio, I was hoping that enough had been done to allow my projects to be opened again. That was not the case.

So I did a search on the kb 931125. It took me to this link http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/windows-7-64-bit-not-being-offered-kb931125-roots/aae0741d-df61-4a28-aaa3-d77c80929af1?auth=1 This link provided a link to download a file to update the Microsoft Certificate, here: http://download.windowupdate.com/msupdate/update/v3/static/trusted/en/rootsupd.exe But that resulted in a 503 error, when attempting to load.

I posted this on a Visual Studio Set-up forum page, but as usual in that forum I go no help at all.

Update:  I ran a repair from Add/Remove Programs.  After running for 1.5 hours I am now allowed to open my project.  And it says it has Update 3 on there.  Hurray!!!

Edward R. Joell MCSD MCDBA

Friday, April 18, 2014 11:06 AM

Answers

• User-1842880510 posted

The government IT guy was able to download all of the Microsoft Root Certificates and we installed those for Windows 7 x64 onto this machine.  (Interestingly enough this resulted in duplicates of those certificates that I already had.)  The new standalone disc made from a different downloaded iso was was able to run as designed.  Visual Studio Update 4 is now installed.

The reason that a partial install of Update 3 was not a staisfactory solution was:

1. The whole update never installed.
    2. The purpose of installing Update 4 was to deal with a problem I was having when running my application.

These are now rectified with this new install.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:42 AM

All replies

• User-1454326058 posted

Hi joeller,

Update:  I ran a repair from Add/Remove Programs.  After running for 1.5 hours I am now allowed to open my project.  And it says it has Update 3 on there

According to your description, do you mean the VS 2012 update 3 works fine now?

Do you try to install the VS 2012 update 4 again?

For that scenario, I suggest that you should update the OS to the latest version, then install VS 2012 update 4.

If there are some errors in the VS 2012, you’d better re-install/repair it.

Thanks

Best Regards

Sunday, April 20, 2014 9:56 PM
  • User-1842880510 posted

For that scenario, I suggest that you should update the OS to the latest version, then install VS 2012 update 4.

I have no control over operating system updates.  That  happens on a push that takes place at the Navy's convenience.

According to your description, do you mean the VS 2012 update 3 works fine now?

Well as far as it working fine I can't say.  I noted with update four that when the install crashes where it does, that the cancellation of the setup does NOT uninstall everything that had been installed up to that point.  I expect that the same is true for Update 3.  The whole reason I was trying to install Update 4 was because of a problem I was having with Visual Studio.  When I started looking into the problem I noted that the version of VS was RTM.  But after all the time futzing with the updates I've forgotten what the original problem was.

If there are some errors in the VS 2012, you’d better re-install/repair it.

Did that already.  (I believe I specified that above).  That is the only reason it is working now because the uninstall of Update 4 left the application completely inoperative.  I had to do a full repair to get the application back to a usable state.

Monday, April 21, 2014 11:38 AM
  • User-1426144113 posted

Hi,

What's your current issue now? Do you still want to install the update 4?

Thanks 

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:29 AM
  • User-1842880510 posted

The government IT guy was able to download all of the Microsoft Root Certificates and we installed those for Windows 7 x64 onto this machine.  (Interestingly enough this resulted in duplicates of those certificates that I already had.)  The new standalone disc made from a different downloaded iso was was able to run as designed.  Visual Studio Update 4 is now installed.

The reason that a partial install of Update 3 was not a staisfactory solution was:

1. The whole update never installed.
    2. The purpose of installing Update 4 was to deal with a problem I was having when running my application.

These are now rectified with this new install.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:42 AM
  • User-1842880510 posted

I don't know whether this would be regarded as part of this thread or a new one.

I had my IIS Express configured as specified on this page http://jasonrshaver.com/?tag=/Client+Certificates .  This allowed me to run my application in SSL for the 11 months from June 2013 all the way up to 9:50 AM EST this morning April 22, 2014.  At 9:54 AM EST we ran Visual Studio 2012 Update 4.  At 11:00 AM EST I opened my web application and ran a debug.  At no point did IE or IIS Express request a client Certificate.  The application runs an authentication process which evaluates the server variables and headers to get the Subject value from the client certificate.  But there was no Client certificate, so there was no Cert_Subject server variable, so the application failed before it could even get to the part I was coding.   I checked

All of the settings in both applicationhost.config files are as directed on the web site.  This was not happening before VS 2012 Update 4 was run.  This started happening immediately after VS 2012 Update 4 was installed.  So there is a one to one correlation between these symptoms and the VS 2012 Update 4.  What did Update 4 do to my IIS Express.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:47 AM
  • User-1454326058 posted

Hi,

For this issue, I suggest that you should create a new thread.

Thanks

Best Regards

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:33 PM
  • User-1842880510 posted

Done

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:13 AM